scout01

What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

Got most of my manual swap done this past weekend. M56 is installed and I buttoned up the interior yesterday. I've been busy the past two days with my brother's '92 Miata that we're manual/1.8 swapping after the 1.6 had a couple failed valve stem seals (because who fixes bad valve stem seals, pfff....)

Anyway, I just need to finish assembling everything in the engine bay and it's good to go! I also need a new timing belt and some other engine parts, but the swap itself is just about done.

3QYs4km.jpg?2

Y5Hl1LD.jpg?1

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2018 at 8:27 PM, CAAnglin said:

A lot of people say the RSR's or RSRR's get gummy after long stints but we've never had a problem.
The RE71Rs are super fun/sticky but they marble up corners. I think everyone just knows its a cheater tire (no where near 200 tread wear). 

I just like the Federals for the bang for the buck. I'm sure everything similar is better (RE71, AD08, Rivial, RS4, V720) but for like $400 for all four tires. I can't complain at all. 
I'll take a .1 second hit for saving hundreds of dollars. 

That's a big reason why I'm taking a look at other options too. I just want something to have fun with........ and I'm still new to the scene, so I'm not super competitive at this point either. lol

Have you noticed issues with their sizing? I was reading a few posts online about them and some were saying that they're larger in size than other tires in the same size.

haha ^ i have been only "rinsing" my GTI off lately too - would like to get some wax on it before the winter

This weekend I changed the oil on all 3 cars yay me!

Snabb Throttle Body Spacer/Insulator +50HP

IMG_6852.jpg

yeah i was thinking of doing a before and after dyno session

Installed a manual boost controller, per the diagram in the thread below. Not sure why I didn't do this years ago. Prior to this, I've never had a rock solid boost "cap" - I would get spikes if I wasn't careful. I think the highest I ever saw was around 25psi. This was regardless of which tune I had in at the time. I halfheartedly tried troubleshooting it on and off for a while, and just recently I installed a Hallman ES. Install was about 15 minutes, and over the last week I've been tweaking it to get my max boost right at 18psi (per ARD Blue tune). I'll continue keeping an eye on it, but it seems pretty solid so far. I don't have to keep an eye on the gauge anytime I'm really getting on it - I can just relax and mash it. This little addition has given me a lot of peace of mind - I'd recommend it to anyone who is dealing with spikes they can't otherwise figure out. 

Replaced the crank position sensor.  It runs much better than it has for the past month.  Still not fixed, but better.

Also rigged up a pull cord to open the hood as I broke the hood release cable this morning.  304,000 miles on it.  Trying to find a replacement is proving difficult.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zappo said:

Replaced the crank position sensor.  It runs much better than it has for the past month.  Still not fixed, but better.

Also rigged up a pull cord to open the hood as I broke the hood release cable this morning.  304,000 miles on it.  Trying to find a replacement is proving difficult.

Gotta check out a junkyard or two. I really hate the hood latch/cable setup in these cars.

On 9/22/2018 at 5:04 PM, CAAnglin said:

Federals have always seemed to run a size a wide. A 215/40-17 is more like a 225/40-17.

Found an old pic on my phone. 
Federal 595 RSR 225-40/18 next to Firestone Indy 500 225-40/18. Both tires are stacked two high. 

BZNEA1c.jpg

Installed the clubsport exhaust on my volvo GTI...... it sounds so pretty. 

MVIMG_20181008_170713.jpg

haha I have that too on mine :) 

you dsg? you get the loud shift farts?!?!

3 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

haha I have that too on mine :) 

you dsg? you get the loud shift farts?!?!

yassssssss.. kinda scared me first time it farted... I may have pooped a little, single best thing i've done to the car so far. 

• Upvote 1