Sign in to follow this  
scout01

What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

I'm replacing a odometer gear soon and I think it would be the perfect time to do this. What all do I need to get the ball rolling on this?

Cheapest way to go about it is to go to Radioshack, grab one of their protoboards and cut it to fit. Then solder the LEDs by hand by running bits of wire to connect them. The LEDs go in series in groups of five, then a resistor at the end.

eBay search "OSRAM PLCC LED" and you'll find lots of them. The orange ones I use are $0.99 for 20, an amazing deal for the quality and brightness of these LEDs.

If you want white, Nichia makes great LEDs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Nichia-NESW021T-WHITE-LED-500-720mcd-10mA-120-PLCC-4-SMD-SMT-20-30-100-3528-/221239558908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382e7c2fc

Don't buy cheap Made in China LEDs. Make sure you get quality LEDs since they will last longer and have better output (OSRAM, Nichia, Lite-On). Don't be fooled by high mcd ratings, since it is proportional to the angle of the light. OSRAM and Nichia LEDs come in 120 degree versions.

Edited by Serge

Im working on em LOL... Im waiting for work to calm down come October and the heat to chill out a little..

I'm going to need a set too, Mat

I'm going to need a set too, Mat

+1, since I seem to be late on the group-buy buddy. ;)

this weekend:

front bbk on the r

flowmaster exhaust on friends mustang

fog lights and r grill insert installation on the v70t5m

Cheapest way to go about it is to go to Radioshack, grab one of their protoboards and cut it to fit. Then solder the LEDs by hand by running bits of wire to connect them. The LEDs go in series in groups of five, then a resistor at the end.

eBay search "OSRAM PLCC LED" and you'll find lots of them. The orange ones I use are $0.99 for 20, an amazing deal for the quality and brightness of these LEDs.

If you want white, Nichia makes great LEDs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Nichia-NESW021T-WHITE-LED-500-720mcd-10mA-120-PLCC-4-SMD-SMT-20-30-100-3528-/221239558908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382e7c2fc

Don't buy cheap Made in China LEDs. Make sure you get quality LEDs since they will last longer and have better output (OSRAM, Nichia, Lite-On). Don't be fooled by high mcd ratings, since it is proportional to the angle of the light. OSRAM and Nichia LEDs come in 120 degree versions.

Gonna send you a PM tonight

Lowered the ass end another 1" or so... now it's tucking a good amount of tire like it should. I didn't do it before because I knew I was going to be 3 deep with gear driving to SoWo, and I never dumped it after like I had planned.

Finished it last night, since I am not fond of having to remove the dash pad (although it takes only 10 minutes, I don't like doing it). I also put in different drop in 194 LEDs into the gauge cluster. In the last photo they match perfectly, but once I put them into the car the color was much more red, despite the LEDs being identical in color. Going to put amber LEDs back in since they more closely match.

Old protoboard done by hand on top. New etched board on the bottom. One of the LEDs on the old board was burnt (I overpowered it) and flickering sometimes.

IMG_6080.JPG

New board sitting in the info display backlight assembly.

IMG_6084.JPG

Diffuser put back in place.

IMG_6086.JPG

Installed in the gauge cluster.

IMG_6088.JPG

• Upvote 4

I drove an S70 NA manual today, then I hopped right in my S70 T5 manual and it felt like someone hit the fast froward button :huh:

• Upvote 2

Damn Discount Tire took my valve caps. Made me really mad. Finally got them back today. The OEM ones too :P Not shitty generic

I've gotten in the habit of removing special valve stems before arriving at the shop. I also have a Suburban with unusual center caps that are keyed such that people who've never seen them can't get them to stay on properly so I remove them before arriving anywhere that needs to remove those wheels too.

Edited by pdlarson