What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

scout01

Immobilizer on M4.4 cars allows the engine to start but shuts it down after 2 seconds. ME7 AFAIK doesn't start either fuel pump or ignition system unless key is recognized. Maybe it helps you with the diagnostics.

When changing the camshaft sensor, did you buy a new one or used a second-hand one ? Same with the RPM sensor...

Crankshaft and camshaft sensors are the only ones that dictate spark timing. If those are ok, maybe your ECU is fried :(

Have you checked ALL the ground points, as per the wiring diagrams ? Maybe ECU isn't getting power upon cranking ?

A friend of mine had a short in the starter motor, and when cranking, the voltage dropped so low that ECU wasn't able to start. On a good battery, voltage shouldn't drop lower than 9V (IIRC) when cranking

Does it start if towed/bump started, at the moments it doesn't start cranked ?

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Upvote 1

I'm getting full power at the fuel pump when cranking, so based on that I don't believe it is an immobilizer issue.

The cam sensor I installed was from my parts car, which I've never seen run so I can't conclusively say the sensor was good when it was installed. Crank sensor was brand new when installed.

All grounds are in good condition - I previously found some fraying on a cam cover ground strap, so that was replaced with one in better condition. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say my ECU isn't fried, as the car has started and ran normally 2x since this issue appeared.

Thinking back to when I was troubleshooting the no start condition on my 2000 R post manual swap. It was an IMMO issue. I think the fuel pump still received voltage as I had pressure at the rail, it was that the ECU was not pulsing the injectors. I physically unbolted the fuel rail and pulled it off the intake manifold while someone cranked it and no fuel was coming out. I had spark.

Even if you get this resolved quickly, I still would grab a dice unit since you have a 99. It really helps narrow things down in situations like this.

Did you try jumpering the starter relay as suggested?

I seem to recall there being a bulletin about the connections at the IMMO under the dash. Might be worth a try pulling it down from under the steering column and reseating the connector.

Edited by BlackT5
  • Upvote 2

Midnight caller, as was stated above, the car is a stock 99 V70 R with an automatic transmission.

I definitely plan on buying a VIDA/DICE setup in the near future - just trying to stick to my budget and this problem isn't helping :lol: I did re-seat the immobilizer connections, and it didn't make a difference. I don't have spark, but I will pull the rail and verify the injectors are still firing and not being interrupted by the immobilizer. I haven't jumped the starter relay yet - I forgot about Howard's advice to try that when I was at the shop last night, so I will give that a shot next time I'm there.

On a related note, I really appreciate everyone's help here :)

Sorry for not noticing the gearbox detail, I got lost through the topic.

Siemens EMS on S40/V40 didn't even let you crank if IMMO didn't recognize the key, and a car with an "X" on it pulsed in the dash.

M4.4 lets you start, but shuts off the engine immediately.

I guess ME7 is somethere in between.

A DiCE can be bought off eBay at around 150USD, so it's not that expensive. I had to buy a 500$ VST (couldn't be done without the help of a very kind friend in USA) just to recalibrate my damper motors, so I feel you regarding the budget part :)

Sorry for not noticing the gearbox detail, I got lost through the topic.

Siemens EMS on S40/V40 didn't even let you crank if IMMO didn't recognize the key, and a car with an "X" on it pulsed in the dash.

M4.4 lets you start, but shuts off the engine immediately.

I guess ME7 is somethere in between.

Bunch of completely different systems with different behaviours. Can't compare them.

Wasn't it ~1000$ by the time it had passed customs?