What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

scout01

Tuesday night I found out my car was leaking gas from the pump wiring pass-through pretty badly, so last night I tore the car apart to fix that issue and see if I could sort out a couple other issues while I was in there.

8A9B5FE9-73DB-4188-9EDB-05D8AD81152E_zps

I dropped the rear end a couple inches by using longer bolts at the 4 corners.  The extra couple inches created allowed me much easier access to the fuel pump and, more critically, the evap system.  Whatever asshole engineer at Volvo decided to mount the entire evap system on top of the rear subframe with nearly no visibility or access shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

835406A5-420F-473E-9EB6-A62239451289_zps

Since last fall I've been having a hard time pumping gas into my car.  See this thread for more details  I had the rear end apart anyways, so I decided to see if I could fix that issue as well.  Started troubleshooting, and eventually I found that the vent solenoid off the charcoal canister wasn't working.  I blasted it with some electronic parts cleaner and it began working again.

051BAEC5-3837-4BC7-AB21-D1F8829F4BCD_zps

Not sure if it's going to continue working long-term, but at least it can be replaced from the access panel in the trunk.  Filling up last night was much easier but not 100% fixed.  The charcoal canister might be partially clogged or the system hadn't had time to fully purge/clean itself in the 1/2 mile drive from the shop to the gas station.  I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.  

Somehow I managed to fix my fuel gauge as well, it is now reading the appropriate level again instead of reading whatever the fuck it wanted (again, described in the above thread)

Oh, and I found out that my front O2 sensor had somehow been unplugged :blink:  Plugged that back in and my car is suddenly much more fuel efficient :monkey:

All told, very productive night at the shop, even if I didn't get home until 3am.   Total time spent working was ~7 hours, including an hour or so spend helping my buddy with his coilovers.

• Upvote 3

Whatever asshole engineer at Volvo decided to mount the entire system on top of the rear subframe with nearly no visibility or access shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

​The gas tank is the last thing to be packaged on a car so they just get the left over space. On top of that they have to meet range requirements, which is why you end up with a saddle tank that barely fits in the space provided.

I fully understand packing constraints and requirements determined by other parties that engineers get stuck working with.  I deal with many of the same issues in my job (architecture) but at a different scale.

This time I'm not bitching about the fuel tank itself, but the evap system location. 98 AWD models have the majority of the evap system located in the engine bay or the front of the car.  In 99/00, they moved most of that stuff to above the rear subframe where it is nearly impossible to access or service without removing the rear subframe.  If you're going to locate the components there, leave me an access panel from the trunk floor that will let me service/inspect components as needed.

Pulled front/rear seats and carpets, cleaned them. Ran new parking brake cables because the PO cut them off before the rear LCAs. 

Replaced rear pads and rotors, rebuilt my sticky right rear caliper.

• Upvote 1

Pulled front/rear seats and carpets, cleaned them. Ran new parking brake cables because the PO cut them off before the rear LCAs. 

Replaced rear pads and rotors, rebuilt my sticky right rear caliper.

How did you clean the carpets ? Found a washing machine large enough ?

How did you clean the carpets ? Found a washing machine large enough ?

​Just some Resolve spray cleaner and a shop-vac.  They weren't bad, but had a few dirty spots.  Cleaned up well enough.