scout01

What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

Matt, is the stock turbo from your R still good or are you putting in the IPD one to replace a worn turbo?

Reason I ask is the turbo in my brother's R appears to be burning oil. I think he mentioned he has to top up the oil roughly ever 7000km. He's still not sure whether to try and rebuild his current one or just get another.

3 minutes ago, RBoy8 said:

Matt, is the stock turbo from your R still good or are you putting in the IPD one to replace a worn turbo?

Reason I ask is the turbo in my brother's R appears to be burning oil. I think he mentioned he has to top up the oil roughly ever 7000km. He's still not sure whether to try and rebuild his current one or just get another.

By "top up" are you saying he adds a quart of oil every ~4k miles? If so, that's nothing IMO, and depending on the miles, it could be anything (not necessarily the turbo).

12 minutes ago, mattsk8 said:

By "top up" are you saying he adds a quart of oil every ~4k miles? If so, that's nothing IMO, and depending on the miles, it could be anything (not necessarily the turbo).

Yeah, usually around 4K miles, he gets a message saying oil low.

I think his car has around 78-ish K miles. He said when he drives it a bit spiritedly, he can see smoke from the exhaust when he looks in the rearview mirror.

But yeah, my father and I also mentioned that it's not out of the ordinary to be burning a bit of oil. lol... we have to top up the oil in our P80s every so often too. :laugh:

29 minutes ago, RBoy8 said:

Yeah, usually around 4K miles, he gets a message saying oil low.

I think his car has around 78-ish K miles. He said when he drives it a bit spiritedly, he can see smoke from the exhaust when he looks in the rearview mirror.

But yeah, my father and I also mentioned that it's not out of the ordinary to be burning a bit of oil. lol... we have to top up the oil in our P80s every so often too. :laugh:

Exactly. I dream of getting my 99 R to only using a quart to 4k miles. The smoke from heavy acceleration could be gas too.

Edit: Although, the low oil light in most cars is generally triggered by at least 2 qts low, which would mean he's using a qt to 2k miles. That might justify it.

Edited by mattsk8

5 hours ago, Kevin. said:

my friend is a tech and needed money so I paid him to do the brakes on the C30. I didn't feel like doing them, sorry for supporting my friend?

Cop out answer.

see below

5 hours ago, MattyXXL said:

A true friend would have just given him the money and had him come over and drink some beers, while you do the brakes and talk shit..

• Upvote 1

Well apparently I blew the radiator on the dd AFTER putting the s70 in the shop for custom work smgdh

6 hours ago, MattyXXL said:

A true friend would have just given him the money and had him come over and drink some beers, while you do the brakes and talk stuff..

Apparently I can only give out 10 reputation points per day but this one deserves +100. I have done exactly that. Except instead of handing them some cash I'd make them a meal and drink some beers and provide an uplifting and positive day for said broke friend. While swearing and hitting said stuck bolts, we would talk finance and investing. 

Edited by Tommy.

5 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

It whines, especially when the car is not fully warmed up. I don't think it's shot, no but I suspect the rust on it will make your brother have nightmares. The water line on it has excessive rust and actually has coolant seeping out in one spot. 

Semi related: don't wait until your oil light comes on to top it off. Tell him to check it at every fill up, I keep a quart in the trunk and top it off as needed. I maybe use 1/2 quart every 3500 miles, depending on driving style. Waiting until your engine is 2 quarts low is asking for trouble.

• Upvote 2

On 12/3/2015, 3:42:23, matt b said:

It whines, especially when the car is not fully warmed up. I don't think it's shot, no but I suspect the rust on it will make your brother have nightmares. The water line on it has excessive rust and actually has coolant seeping out in one spot. 

Semi related: don't wait until your oil light comes on to top it off. Tell him to check it at every fill up, I keep a quart in the trunk and top it off as needed. I maybe use 1/2 quart every 3500 miles, depending on driving style. Waiting until your engine is 2 quarts low is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the advice, Matt! I'll let him know.

Yeah, his current turbo right now is already making him worry. I think rust wouldn't help him sleep better at night. haha :lol:

Headliner for the 850 is out. Just de-foamed that bitch. Just bought some beige suede.

Now to find out why my gas pedal is so loose/sensitive.

11 hours ago, B850 said:

Now to find out why my gas pedal is so loose/sensitive.

Must be the loose nut behind the wheel. Sorry, had to.

• Upvote 3

:biggrin:yup.

Turns out there was slack in the line right before it goes onto the spool... I turned the adjuster just until it began to open the throttle by it self. Does anyone know if this is the correct method? I haven't tested it and probably won't until i get my new headliner in.

Fun with plast-dip on the rat this weekend... no mo' gray trim. (We'll see how long it lasts.)

12394274_527366530758450_1821870946_o.jp

• Upvote 5

Just now, Honeyman said:

Fun with plast-dip on the rat this weekend... no mo' gray trim. (We'll see how long it lasts.)

If the interwebs are to be believed: a long time. 

Has the hood vent made a significant difference ? I have issues with engine bay temps here in the summer and I need to install a discreet way to vent the engine bay during the warmer months.

• Upvote 1