Sign in to follow this  
scout01

What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

Fixed exhaust leak by installing EST cat back on the XC. (was leaking at joint between midpipe and cat)  Also removed center D/S (bad bearing) - going to pull the rebuilt one from my s70 and put it in sometime this week

EuQP5yJ.jpg

• Upvote 2

aaaaaaand woke up early this morning and saw that it was going to snow all day starting about 15 mins from then.... skipped the coffee and hit the garage - removed D/S from old blue and installed on the XC - when I was done there was 2-3"  of fresh powder and more coming down - got to take a nice drive in the fluffy stuff - loving the studded toyo's with the AWD and ground clearance. ..  why didnt I get an XC long ago?    coffee time now...

• Upvote 2

Decided to start my XC today, I was impressed lol. Been sitting for a few months untouched, in pieces, not running right and under a few feet of snow.

also installed my roof racks and driving lights on my 2005 V70 Awd, and a poly top engine mount 👍🏻.

752C478E-9C23-480A-999A-ADBEBF5E3342_zps

7747DD9C-0CC4-495C-89A2-D3733381CE30_zps

and lastly my dad bought this 2000 V70XC SE today, it's a really nice car and will likely end up mine at some point... I miss P80's lol

C7EBE213-5D96-44EE-87F9-50D423923587_zps

EC050EA3-8D21-4218-818B-ABD2F27A6797_zps

B58B5747-3852-40DC-88E0-CD9D3F81A076_zps

D57A938D-FA0D-4465-AB57-A5762D892E04_zps

^ nice

I was kinda bummin cuz my curt hitch wasnt going to fit between the EST can's I just put on the XC and remembered I had been storing this thing for years - took a look and measured, seems like it will fit no problem!    I think I am going to have a 2" receiver tube welded on since the stock locking business is missing.

GP2ttXa.jpg

• Upvote 1

Last Friday and Saturday I replaced my front speakers. I replaced the door speakers with some 5" CSS full range speakers and I replaced the dash tweeters with some CSS LD22 tweeters... then I designed a passive xover for it. All this work I have into this brings me to the question... WTF was I thinking? I remember now why I hate car stereos; nothing sounds good because you're like 60 degrees off axis all the time, the soundstage is always crap, and it's almost impossible to get the tweeters to sound good because they're reflecting off the windshield so badly. Not only that, but I put two 12" subs in the back, which may have been cool when I was like 25 years old, but it's immensely overkill now. Trying to dial those in so I have "sound quality" instead of just overwhelming bass is nearly impossible. And... in addition to that, these cars really suck for putting systems in them, the way they laid the front door speakers out is borderline retarded- they have the speakers positioned so they actually face the front of the car (towards the dash) rather than tilting them towards the listener.

I first put my MB Quarts in the front doors, and those sounded OK, but at some stage in the past 5 years of them sitting on a shelf in my garage they must have picked up some stray crap, because one of the voice coils was scraping. So I replaced those with some Alpine 6.5" coax speakers... and those sounded like a shouty mess. That's what brought me to trying to design a xover for the speakers I put in last weekend. The problem is, it seems like no matter what, it's almost impossible to get any kind of midbass out of this car's stereo, so it makes them sound shouty and boomy, with no middle ground. Not sure if I want to keep spending money on it, or just live with what I have now.

The other problem is that the speaker opening only allow for a 5.25'' speaker. Can't really get much midbass out of those, even if some of the more talked about brands on the caraudio forums say so. I've thought about the option of putting a 6'' driver in the rear doors for midbass but that still requires custom work and won't be perfect either. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ryan850-t5 said:

The other problem is that the speaker opening only allow for a 5.25'' speaker. Can't really get much midbass out of those, even if some of the more talked about brands on the caraudio forums say so. I've thought about the option of putting a 6'' driver in the rear doors for midbass but that still requires custom work and won't be perfect either. 

If you pull the rear (or the front) speakers out and use a small flat head screwdriver to peel the glue apart, you'll see that they just "twist" and lock into the mounting basket. If you take that apart, the factory mount will accept a 6.5" speaker... but it's a flimsy mount so you're definitely right that it needs custom work... maybe that's what you were referring to? But even if you do that, IIRC you have less than 3.5" of mounting depth for the front doors. That's usually enough for most 6.5" speakers, but being that shallow doesn't do anything for bass at all.

I have 6.5" speakers in the rear doors, but I keep those turned down quite a bit because having everything come from behind me sounds goofy. These are what I used in the front doors for mids... http://meniscusaudio.com/css-vwr126x-p-1328.html

They're listed as a 4.5", but they're actually 5.25". They have more midbass than my MB Quarts did (and definitely more than those Alpines), but that isn't saying much because they still suck. Considering making some something out of fiberglass to mount a 6.5" in and cutting that stamped steel basket that's in the door behind the speaker out so I can (maybe?) get more depth... but I have no idea how close that is to the window (I might not have anymore room). I also think I might try a single ported 10" woofer instead of the JL Audio 12" subs that are in there now.

I should just throw in the towel on this and call it good, I'm already sick of working on it... but once I start something I can't, it's like a disease I have.

It's tough to quit mid way. Although sometimes the best route to take is making it useable and then spend your time and resources on something else. 

I like those speakers you linked to.

and i just realized after reading your post that my comment/knowledge is based on the 850 platform vs the x70 platform. I do seem to recall the speaker openings on those are slightly larger and will accomodate a 6.5'' speaker. In an 850, there is no way to fit a larger speaker in the factory spot. 

The fun never ends!  pulled t/b on XC to replace front cam seals ...  found them relatively dry underneath (d'oh)  ...  putting it back together I noticed the mechanical tensioner didnt spring back like it should...  tried adjusting it several times ... felt as if it was going bad after running it for a minute I could hear some kind of bearing noise.. yikes, I've had one of those fall apart before .....  was going to try and get one off the local indy but remembered I had pretty new stuff on the parts motor I had in the garage ... swapped for the hydraulic setup and she is purring again ...  I am missing that good ol' plastic safety bushing however... Maybe its in a box somewhere ... edit: .19 cents at fcp - time to buy more crap.

both front door checks in XC were 'poppin' - so annoying ...  I did this ghetto fabulous mod today with a metal bracket I got for 2 bucks and cut down into two pieces,

http://matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=241741&sid=d05eec433d62a72fbe034ad8beea8763#p241741

drivers side took a little longer since someone had attempted to weld it before .. doors open and close smooth as silk now and you cant even really see these pieces from in the car.. 

Got them back from the powder coater today.

16142383_10154252261676966_3130537971329

• Upvote 4

Those came out nice Mike!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Andy! :smile:

Tore the m58 out of the XC yesterday. Made some discoveries along the way.

15974946_10154318244649226_7048616743604

16179668_10154325410099226_8763544732202