Sign in to follow this  
scout01

What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

Raced it.  It was a good day to race.

On 9/17/2017 at 2:00 PM, Brad850 said:

I agree. Those things sucked. 

What are you driving these days??

Still have both Volvos but mainly driving my truck.

Threw it on the lift and changed the oil.  It was the first time I'd put it on the lift since I bought it in May. 

While I was there, I found the source of my vibration under acceleration.  Front CV on my driveshaft is cooked, grease is flung all over the underside of the chassis. Hooray :rolleyes: 

Mmmm, axle grease. Delicious.

11 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

Mmmm, axle grease. Delicious.

Nothing like it...

Every time I look at my S70 and see a little bit of coolant I do the :rolleyes:

Want an M56 swap for one of those yellows yet?!

30 minutes ago, ruecatinat said:

Nothing like it...

Every time I look at my S70 and see a little bit of coolant I do the :rolleyes:

Want an M56 swap for one of those yellows yet?!

You're like, the one millionth person to ask me about an M56 swap ever since my yellow's 4th cylinder kicked the bucket. :laugh:... I'll admit, I'm kinda tempted! You've got the M56L but the one thing I'm afraid of is the slave of the 99-00s. They're inside the bell housing right?

Btw, I also give that look when I see oil from the cooler lines on the red car. Just Volvo things. lol

3 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

You're like, the one millionth person to ask me about an M56 swap ever since my yellow's 4th cylinder kicked the bucket. :laugh:... I'll admit, I'm kinda tempted! You've got the M56L but the one thing I'm afraid of is the slave of the 99-00s. They're inside the bell housing right?

Btw, I also give that look when I see oil from the cooler lines on the red car. Just Volvo things. lol

I'm quite sure all the S70s are M56H - I think even my 97 850 was an H, but correct me if I'm wrong...

If I remember correctly there are early 99's which may not have the internal slave - if you really want to know I can check no problem

To be fair I was asking you about a swap even before the motor was an issue...that thing is asking for a manual!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Some '98 T5Ms came with an internal slave M56, depending on the vin split.

Mine's a 99 NA with the old style spin-on oil filter, if it matters...

18 hours ago, ruecatinat said:

I'm quite sure all the S70s are M56H - I think even my 97 850 was an H, but correct me if I'm wrong...

If I remember correctly there are early 99's which may not have the internal slave - if you really want to know I can check no problem

To be fair I was asking you about a swap even before the motor was an issue...that thing is asking for a manual!

Fair enough! :laugh:

Now I'm not totally sure about S70s but I always thought NA 850s were L. I'll have to go do research... but I think you're right on the slave part. I think I remember hearing that early 99s were external.

Dangit guys... I'm really thinking about it now. Only issue is space and how long it'll take. I don't want to burden my parents with a yellow pulled apart and messing up the garage. lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RBoy8 said:

Now I'm not totally sure about S70s but I always thought NA 850s were L. I'll have to go do research... but I think you're right on the slave part. I think I remember hearing that early 99s were external.

Dangit guys... I'm really thinking about it now. Only issue is space and how long it'll take. I don't want to burden my parents with a yellow pulled apart and messing up the garage. lol

I've heard people bang it out in a weekend - I think I remember when Chilled Man was in his prime modding / parting days he was doing them in 5-6 hours but I could be wrong

If you want me to look at anything on my car you have my number / IG

3 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

The M56L is in 1993, 1994, and early 1995 850s. After that, they used the M56H. All had external slaves.

I did my swap over a weekend with help from a friend. We didn't take many breaks. :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oreo931 said:

The M56L is in 1993, 1994, and early 1995 850s. After that, they used the M56H. All had external slaves.

I did my swap over a weekend with help from a friend. We didn't take many breaks. :)

That's not bad at all! Did you have to work out many kinks after or did it start and shift smoothly right after you finished?

Good to know about the transmissions too. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for a '93 to early '95... although an M56 could do too... hmmm.

1 hour ago, RBoy8 said:

That's not bad at all! Did you have to work out many kinks after or did it start and shift smoothly right after you finished?

Good to know about the transmissions too. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for a '93 to early '95... although an M56 could do too... hmmm.

It actually went pretty smoothly. Initially, the car wouldn't start - turned out there was an issue with the manual ECU I bought from ARD (surprise surprise). But I was able to start and drive it using the auto ECU until the manual ECU got fixed. We may have had to tighten one or two coolant hoses. But other than that, the car shifted and drove fine.