Sign in to follow this  
scout01

What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

Ahh okay. Yeah, I picked up a Wideband AFR to keep track of it once I've got the car running again. One thing I noticed is that once in a while when WOT at full boost, the car would stutter a bit in the lower gears.

I was going to clean the stock orange injectors but ended up finding a set of blues at the wreckers so I'm going to clean those and put them in when I'm assembling everything back together. Do you guys think the IPD HD TCV could be an issue too?

When I first installed the tune, it never showed any signs of running lean, and my father hadn't had any issues running it when mine was stored for the winter, which is why I have reason to believe it could be other components causing a lack of fuel.... but then again, I never had wideband to keep track. I'll see how it goes and keep track of it once everything is back together.

Hand washed, in a t-shirt. 

60F at the end of November in Canada, thanks global warming.

Rode my bike to work this morning..I too am enjoying this final week of November.

This winter is fixing to be brutal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Hand washed, in a t-shirt. 

60F at the end of November in Canada, thanks global warming.

Wish I could've done that today... just been busy being like, a grown-up and stuff.

41 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Rode my bike to work this morning..I too am enjoying this final week of November.

This winter is fixing to be brutal.

They've been reporting that for the area Daren and I are in, we're gonna be getting a lot of snow this year. You're not too far from us so I can imagine it being the same.

I dislike snow but it would be nice to bust out the skis again. Hardly had time last season, and on the days where I was free, there was no snow. :/

43 minutes ago, RBoy8 said:

Wish I could've done that today... just been busy being like, a grown-up and stuff.

They've been reporting that for the area Daren and I are in, we're gonna be getting a lot of snow this year. You're not too far from us so I can imagine it being the same.

I dislike snow but it would be nice to bust out the skis again. Hardly had time last season, and on the days where I was free, there was no snow. :/

In terms of amount of snow, Timo will probably have the most, then me, then you.

Bramladesh never gets any meaningful amounts.

4 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

white deposits

Kevin knows all about white deposits you should ask him

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

Come out to Whistler, its had almost 4 metres of snow already :biggrin: I'll be back on the skis this weekend!

On 11/27/2017 at 5:48 PM, RBoy8 said:

23844737_10155094481906966_6450013783474

I'd say you're burning oil as well, and/or running sh*t fuel?  That's a lot of deposits on those valves, which makes them run hotter, which makes burn/break, etc.

Don't want to get preachy but you should quit messing around and get an m4.4 tune from tmm9.  Then you can log all kinds of engine parameters and not have to guess what's going on in there..  You don't have to go whole-hog; can do minor upgrades in hardware as your budget allows, and then progressively mod your tune as you add mods.

With an off-the-shelf tune and no logging, who knows?  Could be running lean, getting lots of detonation, pulling timing, etc.  Considering you're running stock injectors, I'd guess you're getting all that bad stuff, and more.

FWIW..  Best of luck with the rebuild.

3 hours ago, sventastic said:

Come out to Whistler, its had almost 4 metres of snow already :biggrin: I'll be back on the skis this weekend!

I've always wanted to ski in Whistler! I'd love to make it out there one day. How far are you from there?

12 minutes ago, gdog said:

I'd say you're burning oil as well, and/or running sh*t fuel?  That's a lot of deposits on those valves, which makes them run hotter, which makes burn/break, etc.

Don't want to get preachy but you should quit messing around and get an m4.4 tune from tmm9.  Then you can log all kinds of engine parameters and not have to guess what's going on in there..  You don't have to go whole-hog; can do minor upgrades in hardware as your budget allows, and then progressively mod your tune as you add mods.

With an off-the-shelf tune and no logging, who knows?  Could be running lean, getting lots of detonation, pulling timing, etc.  Considering you're running stock injectors, I'd guess you're getting all that bad stuff, and more.

FWIW..  Best of luck with the rebuild.

My engine was definitely burning oil from the valve stem seals. I was planning on doing them next Spring until this happened. Keep in mind though, I also did a wet compression test in that cylinder which is why it looks super oily.

I don't have any pics handy but the cylinder walls actually look really good, especially for 416K km / 258K miles. Cross hatching is all still there and compression in everything else before pulling the head off was 160. I've only ever run 91/93. Last year, I also did a compression test and the cylinder with now the burnt valve read around 130-140, so I figure it was already on it's way out and just a matter of time.

I did a bit of digging and I'm almost certain that feeling I was experiencing was spark blow out, which could've caused the lean conditions.

And thanks. It's all a learning experience for me now as I've never dived into something this "big" before but I'm definitely enjoying it... as odd as that sounds. :laugh:

13 minutes ago, RBoy8 said:

My engine was definitely burning oil from the valve stem seals. I was planning on doing them next Spring until this happened. Keep in mind though, I also did a wet compression test in that cylinder which is why it looks super oily.

My comments were based off the amount of solid deposits on the valves; not the wet oil.

I don't have any pics handy but the cylinder walls actually look really good, especially for 416K km / 258K miles. Cross hatching is all still there and compression in everything else before pulling the head off was 160. I've only ever run 91/93. Last year, I also did a compression test and the cylinder with now the burnt valve read around 130-140, so I figure it was already on it's way out and just a matter of time.

You could have excellent compression and cyl walls look great, but still have oil getting past the oil control rings.  Not saying you do for sure; just saying it's possible.

I did a bit of digging and I'm almost certain that feeling I was experiencing was spark blow out, which could've caused the lean conditions.

Spark blow-out is a symptom caused by weak spark (too low a voltage at the plug tip) and/or too much combustion chamber pressure due to compression ratio plus boost pressure.  Could also be made worse by lean condition (lean mixture is more difficult to ignite).

Edited by gdog

49 minutes ago, gdog said:

My comments were based off the amount of solid deposits on the valves; not the wet oil.

Gotcha. And as I said, my car was definitely burning oil due to the valve stem seals before that valve went.

The plan is to get this head rebuilt, put everything put back together and go from there.

6 hours ago, Brad850 said:

Kevin knows all about white deposits you should ask him

:laugh: eeew

On 11/28/2017 at 8:14 PM, RBoy8 said:

I've always wanted to ski in Whistler! I'd love to make it out there one day. How far are you from there?

Less than 2 hours there, and usually close to 3 hours to get home due to traffic. Still worth it!

19 hours ago, sventastic said:

Less than 2 hours there, and usually close to 3 hours to get home due to traffic. Still worth it!

Awesome. That's totally worth it!

2-3 hours from me is Blue Mountain which is one of the better places to hit the slopes around here but that's still nothing compared with Whistler

Bought it.  Not bad for $950.

24017477787_433c45be93_k.jpg

37995416355_98ef6be110_k.jpg

• Upvote 4