What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

2 hours ago, JaredR1 said:

Bought it.  Not bad for $950.

You know they have regular open meetings for folks like you..?  :rolleyes:

JK;  another steal!  Plans?

2 hours ago, gdog said:

You know they have regular open meetings for folks like you..?  :rolleyes:

JK;  another steal!  Plans?

We literally needed anything else that we were ok with driving in salt now that I have a job I have to drive to so the plan for now is make it usable as cheaply as possible.  Totally wasn't planning on buying an R for this job but it's a Maine car and it's done 282k+ (broken odometer, need to pull mileage) so it does fit the profile.  I'll probably give it to my dad for the winter since he works at home and has the option to avoid driving in actual snowy weather if he doesn't want to so I can keep driving his '99 NA through the winter.  Plus the parking lot at work is suuuupeerrrr sketchy so I like taking something with an immobilizer there (seriously I've been there like 3 weeks and already someone's gas almost got siphoned so it's not just scare tactics......can't wait to find a better job, or maybe just a job wit ha better parking lot LOL).

So what does it need to be useful?

Tires (going to put the Volans with zLine AS from the red R on it for the winter) seriously these things are AWFUL I was following my dad going the same speed as him since the speedo doesn't work and was getting understeer a few times)
ABS module
Make the speedometer and odometer work
Replace a ton of burnt out light bulbs
Fix rear suspension (green/yellow springs and Bilstein TCs on the way from FCP)
Replace PS pump
Fix windshield wipers (they boke 1/3 of the way home in the pouring rain on Tuesday night.....had to pull over and wait for my dad to come back with rainx so we could get it the rest of the way home LOL)
Tailgate struts

On the plus side, it came with a 2k old timing belt and brand new brakes (seriously the brakes are so new that the handbrake wasn't properly worn in......I had to do a couple 30-0 stops with it on the way home to get it rolling right).  But the brakes aren't smooth.  Idk if they just need to be bedded or if it's cheap Chinese parts making trouble. 

I have no idea what is going to happen beyond that.  Anybody want to buy it from me in the spring?  I'm not sure I want to keep it long term.  Could also ship it to Europe in the spring and use it to take a road trip there next summer if I can line up a buyer in Europe (white Rs are extremely rare there).

There's something oddly satisfying about fixing a boost leak in the work parking lot during lunch, in below 0C weather... especially when you have to borrow tools from the production floor. :laugh:

Nothing super bad tough though, just the upper IC charge pipe popped out of the lower IC hose.

It broke above freezing for the first time in 2 weeks, so I drove through the carwash and in doing so, figured out where the leak at the top of windshield/above my passenger door is coming from.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully fixed an oil leak.  Fixed a turn signal problem.

• Upvote 1

haven't done much to the yellow other than drive it occasionally. 

on the vw, i had the roof and window trim wrapped in black vinyl

38806857135_dc858d9568_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Started putting the B5234T8 and M66 from my 99 R in the Venetian

38892394035_c96f02881e_b.jpg

Front subframe is close to ready to come out of the Venetian, should drop it out first thing tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Pulled the transmission out. My son was driving it and the clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't come back up. Towed it home and pushed it in the garage and saw brake fluid leaking out of the trans... so I pulled the transmission. Turns out... the clutch disc basically came apart, all the linings on the flywheel side came off (guessing this is what smoked the throwout bearing). Thankfully it didn't scorch my flywheel, that's still smooth. My son admitted he was doing some "spirited" driving when it happened, but nothing insane. And there's no way he was beating the car worse than I did when I took it to the dragstrip last spring.

So now I'm curious why this happened. Granted, I'm not always nice to the car, but I've never seen a clutch disc do this before. I run a 97 850 SM Flywheel and pressure plate, and I used a Sachs SD693 clutch disc. Curious if I should just use that same setup again and chalk it up to a faulty clutch disc or an anomaly, or if I should spend the money on a S60R clutch setup. FWIW, the old setup lasted about 20k miles before this happened.

Edited by mattsk8

22 hours ago, mattsk8 said:

Pulled the transmission out. My son was driving it and the clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't come back up. Towed it home and pushed it in the garage and saw brake fluid leaking out of the trans... so I pulled the transmission. Turns out... the clutch disc basically came apart, all the linings on the flywheel side came off (guessing this is what smoked the throwout bearing). Thankfully it didn't scorch my flywheel, that's still smooth. My son admitted he was doing some "spirited" driving when it happened, but nothing insane. And there's no way he was beating the car worse than I did when I took it to the dragstrip last spring.

So now I'm curious why this happened. Granted, I'm not always nice to the car, but I've never seen a clutch disc do this before. I run a 97 850 SM Flywheel and pressure plate, and I used a Sachs SD693 clutch disc. Curious if I should just use that same setup again and chalk it up to a faulty clutch disc or an anomaly, or if I should spend the money on a S60R clutch setup. FWIW, the old setup lasted about 20k miles before this happened.

I think you need the R DMF as well if you go that route, have you read this?

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/163616-b5234t3-m66w-clutch-fitment-questions/

5 hours ago, ruecatinat said:

I think you need the R DMF as well if you go that route, have you read this?

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/163616-b5234t3-m66w-clutch-fitment-questions/

I have not seen that, after reading it I need to see exactly what he means when he says, "The SMF listed above will have to be machined for the friction disc and flywheel to work properly". I didn't do anything to my flywheel prior to installing the same setup he's using, my flywheel looked new back when I installed it (still does actually), but I didn't do anything to it before using it. It worked great for 20k miles then the friction side of the clutch disc all came off on the flywheel side. I'm going to order the same setup I had, research what he meant about machining my flywheel for the different friction disc... then put it back together. Thanks for the input!!!

2 hours ago, mattsk8 said:

I have not seen that, after reading it I need to see exactly what he means when he says, "The SMF listed above will have to be machined for the friction disc and flywheel to work properly". I didn't do anything to my flywheel prior to installing the same setup he's using, my flywheel looked new back when I installed it (still does actually), but I didn't do anything to it before using it. It worked great for 20k miles then the friction side of the clutch disc all came off on the flywheel side. I'm going to order the same setup I had, research what he meant about machining my flywheel for the different friction disc... then put it back together. Thanks for the input!!!

Flywheel doesn’t have to be machined, early version of the disk that Yang used had a bigger spring hub, when I rediscovered that thread a few years ago the disk had undergone a revision and fit perfectly as did everyone who went with the setup after that.  

And no the S60R setup is not interchangeable with this setup.  It’s either S60R clutch and flywheel OR

850 SMF, 850R pressure plate and Sachs SD693 disk 

On 1/24/2018 at 6:10 PM, mattsk8 said:

Glad it helped, I recently went through a DMF to SMF conversion, mixing and matching flywheels on my VW so the whole thing is fresh in my mind.

I need to get another 850...