What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

scout01

• 1 month later...

Engine and trans is back out. Trans is split, engine is on the stand, pulled the pan to clean and reseal from the thrust bearing failure. Installed the updated pickup.

Installed 5mm spacers in the rear. amber side marker lights are on. The quaife is here, but still waiting on a handful of other parts including the g-pop k24. 

I had a road gator jump up and smack the bumper one of the last times i drove the car - it broke the insert on the driver's side near the fog lamp. I spent some time in fusion to come up with this replacement contraption to serve as an air intake. I'm going to put some inserts in the holes and fashion a front plate that I'll probably have SCS laser cut for me. The two pieces will then sandwich the bumper. Outlet is typical 3"

ljLWizV.png

35X5HGo.png

It's printing now...

• Upvote 2

Paid someone to replace rear diff in my wife's XC60. Installed the upgraded unit so I don't have to worry about the dreaded pinion gear whine again. No way I'm laying on my back in the garage trying to do this.

Also had them replace the broken front trailing arm bushings when everything is out. Money well spent.

rear diff.jpg

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

thats going to be awesome - keep us updated on that!

which k24 are you getting? one of those hybrid 75mm units?

I sent g-pop one of my spare turbos. I had them rebuild with a 360* thrust bearing, 9 blade turbine, and 54.5 x 68 mm inducer.

I didn't want to go much bigger than stock, but wanted the power band to move up some. The stock k24 ran out of steam around 6,000 rpm.

This turbo should serve to hold me over until I convince myself to do something like a 3076r and h beam rods... Also, when I told g-pop what to do with it, I didn't realize it's be putting in a quaife so soon.

... And of course that turbo upgrade will require something stronger than an out of the box r clutch...

11 hours ago, Ihatespeedbumps said:

Paid someone to replace rear diff in my wife's XC60. Installed the upgraded unit so I don't have to worry about the dreaded pinion gear whine again. No way I'm laying on my back in the garage trying to do this.

Also had them replace the broken front trailing arm bushings when everything is out. Money well spent.

rear diff.jpg

Indeed... I wouldn't want to do that on jack stands. I guess I've done worse, but I tend to just get into jobs without any preparation.

• Upvote 1

Replaced the antenna, again. 

I also removed the catch can and bypassed it for now.  I always have to remove it to drain it, but after draining it today, the plug bolt no longer fits.  Its like the threads in the catch can are totally stripped out, but I can see them.  The bolt just slides in like it is too small. I can't take it apart to see what is going on.  The can has been leaking for the last few months (but not from the drain plug), so I ordered a different catch can to replace it.

20 hours ago, Zappo said:

I also removed the catch can and bypassed it for now.  I always have to remove it to drain it, but after draining it today, the plug bolt no longer fits.  Its like the threads in the catch can are totally stripped out, but I can see them.  The bolt just slides in like it is too small. I can't take it apart to see what is going on.  The can has been leaking for the last few months (but not from the drain plug), so I ordered a different catch can to replace it.

The Nuke was spendy, but I'm very happy with it. I haven't had to tweak/adjust anything with the breather since putting it in.

49 minutes ago, mojojo said:

The Nuke was spendy, but I'm very happy with it. I haven't had to tweak/adjust anything with the breather since putting it in.

And I thought the Mishimoto was expensive.  I went with a cheap universal for now since I don't want to make it work with AN fittings yet.

31 minutes ago, Zappo said:

And I thought the Mishimoto was expensive.  I went with a cheap universal for now since I don't want to make it work with AN fittings yet.

Right. Buy once, cry once.

Making some progress on the inlet adapter piece. I checked with an online service and they want ~$160 to print it in one piece out of ABS lol.

DTvniNf.png

This will nest into the cutout in the front bumper from the rear and sit flush with the front - there will be a flat grill that will be installed from the front.

FrdCLvt.png

The back has been modified to allow me to fit a 3" ID pipe over it. I'm going to cut a ~1" section and epoxy it to the print. That should prevent any distorting/breaking from clamping to the part.

• Upvote 3