What Did You Do To Your Car Today.

scout01

On 3/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, bmdubya1198 said:

LS swapped 911s are freaking cool. Purists are annoying!

Although I won't lie, I love the sound of a Porsche flat 6.

That would all be too easy, I’m going down a dark path that will surely lead to my own demise if I’m lucky 

• Upvote 2

Installed my replacement catch can, fixed a side marker light wiring issues and fixed a headlight.  I had to custom make a headlight bulb retaining spring to replace the original that broke in half.

Figured out where my oil leak is on the Volvo, and it is a lot worse than I thought. 

Did a quick power bleed of the rear brakes on the spider and I will be swapping it for the Volvo in the morning commute.  Battery was a little weak so it is on the charger now.

• Upvote 1

Put it through the dirt / mud / sugar sand / bushes, over the weekend.  

Wont be doing that again, mazda paint is apparently extremely thin. 

wWhOSfB.jpg

6f58ftD.jpg

oAExv4y.jpg

Did some light off roading with the volvo crew. 

Definitely was glad to have AWD as everyone kept getting stuck, super impressed with the awd system on the cx5 though as I had no issues all day. 

OXmC8T3.jpg

5k4zRwu.jpg

87YQahr.jpg

EX4qEvH.jpg

Sai6atc.jpg

FWPIfTq.jpg

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Zappo said:

Figured out where my oil leak is on the Volvo, and it is a lot worse than I thought. 

Did a quick power bleed of the rear brakes on the spider and I will be swapping it for the Volvo in the morning commute.  Battery was a little weak so it is on the charger now.

What's the source of the leak?

22 hours ago, Zappo said:

4 hours ago, quiksilver said:

What's the source of the leak?

Yeah, I'd be interested too.

The S70 has a chronic oil leak at front of engine (i.e. passenger side) under the timing belt cover.  Thought it was cam seals so replaced all four, but they're dry now.  Last time I looked at it (a few months ago) thoroughly cleaned everything in that area under the cover w/brake clean then let it idle for half an hour.  Couldn't find any leaks.  But after it's driven for some period of time, oil is sprayed all over the right front of the engine bay.  Drips down onto the rt front axle, LCA, etc.  Need to have cardboard under the car when it's parked in the garage and have to change that every month or so.  Thinking either head gasket, or maybe crankcase pressure builds while driving (passes glove test) and it's blowing out the front crank seal?  Don't know; the search continues..  Let me know if you have suggestions.

The stock oil pressure sensor is in the front of the block.  I have used for my oil pressure gauge, but I ran a T setup on it because I also added a sensor for my logger.  I am fairly certain something has failed there after 10 years or so.

I do have oil cooler lines that run along the subframe in front of that, but I don't believe they are damaged. 

Because I don't run a stock pan, I have no room between the oil pan and the front of the subframe.  That means I have to access that area from the top, and that means I have to remove a lot to get there.  I'm hoping I don't have to pull the intake off.  I run the DO88 radiator which is thicker than stock, so the fan has to come out for sure. 

It will take a few days for me to tear into it.  I don't have a lot of time after work and my garage is small.

22 hours ago, gdog said:

Yeah, I'd be interested too.

The S70 has a chronic oil leak at front of engine (i.e. passenger side) under the timing belt cover.  Thought it was cam seals so replaced all four, but they're dry now.  Last time I looked at it (a few months ago) thoroughly cleaned everything in that area under the cover w/brake clean then let it idle for half an hour.  Couldn't find any leaks.  But after it's driven for some period of time, oil is sprayed all over the right front of the engine bay.  Drips down onto the rt front axle, LCA, etc.  Need to have cardboard under the car when it's parked in the garage and have to change that every month or so.  Thinking either head gasket, or maybe crankcase pressure builds while driving (passes glove test) and it's blowing out the front crank seal?  Don't know; the search continues..  Let me know if you have suggestions.

Have you tried the oil pump seal? It's right in the area you're discussing and I've heard of them leaking before.

• Upvote 1

I got my endoscope out and found I could just pull the fan to access everything, so I removed that tonight.  I had to remove the throttle bracket and my BOV to get the fan out. It was dry above the sensor port, or at least until I sprayed the crap out of it with brake cleaner.  I removed all of my setup but didn't bother figuring out what failed.

I actually found my stock sensor to install again, but I can't tighten it.  I need like a 23 or 24mm deep to install it.  Again, since I have that custom pan, I have no room for a wrench to fit it.  I don't want to pull the starter just to tighten this up.  22mm is the biggest I have.  15/16" fits, but I don't have a deep socket that size.

I don't know where the stock plug is for the sensor though, so I have to find that to get the idiot light working.

@gmsgltr check your pms

The adapters are glued together with a layer of fiberglass. I'm printing a prototype of the grill now:

c79PO4u.png

Also cleaned up the japanifold; flatened the flange to the head with my belt sander and cleaned up the collector.

124T2R5.jpg

Aim2e44.jpg

Edited by mojojo
  • Upvote 3