Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Mc

Angle Gear Seal Replacement Xc-70

Have new inner and outer seals, and O-ring for adjuster ring. Loosing lube from leaky seal right side front.

So, without availability of a manual or other reference guide, this seems pretty straight forward - remove right half shaft, remove adjusting ring, remove and replace seals, o-ring and adjusting ring, reinstall shaft - lube oil.

The question is, what does the "adjusting ring" - adjust? And, at what level of tightness should it be finally installed, are the threads CCW or CW to loosen?

Please advise if you have an idea.

thanks,

Angle gear seal replacement is very easy, you just need to pay very close attention to what you are doing.

Here is how I've done hundreds:

Remove passenger side axle. You will see a toothed ring on the angle, that is what you will be removing. There will be a locking tab with a bolt through it, score that with a screwdriver or something, and then paint that tooth on the ring (we'll say white). Next make a different score on another tooth and paint it a different color. I usually do the second mark opposite the first mark, but offset a bit. This is important because the ring has to go back exactly where it came off. There is a bearing in there that is preloaded by the number of turns to the ring. Typically it will stop about where it's supposed to, but with something as expensive as an angle gear you can't be too careful.

Volvo actually makes a tool that fits in there to turn this ring. You are going to have to get creative if you can't get the tool. It may be a pain in the jerk to start to turn off, once you do break it loose it's very important you count the EXACT number of turns you took it off with. This would be the reason for the two paint marks.

When I do it, I make one turn and make a tick mark on a piece of paper. Another turn (lining the marks up) I make another tick. It should take 7.5-9 turns to get it out. Keep track of how many it took taking it out, you will need that many going back in.

Once you have it out remove the O-ring and then find something to drive the seal out with. Before you remove the inner seal take note of how far down the seal is sitting, you want to get it to about the same place with the new one. Find a large socket or something you can use as a drift and install the new seal. Install the ring reverse of removal, again making sure you turn the ring in the exact number of turns you installed it with. Line the two markings back up with the original marks on the angle gear you made after you have made the correct number of turns. Install the axle and your done.

Don't forget to get some angle gear oil from the dealer and top up the angle gear when you get done. Some fluid will run out when you remove the ring. Fill the fluid at the fill plug hole until you have a small stream that runs out.

When removing the ring, if the threads of the angle gear start coming out, don't take it out any farther!! Immediately turn the ring back in to its original position. I have only seen this happen once. If the threads come with the ring, you will be buying a new angle gear.

This isn't a hard job and and will be pretty self explanitory when you get under there.

IHSB - thanks appreciate the tips. By the way, I hate giving the dealer anymore $$$ than I have to - what is an acceptale weight gear lube to use and it probably makes sense to go synthetic - just because. . .

Thanks

Hands down one of the easiest to follow DIYs I have seen :tup:

Thanks, I've done quite a few.

Joe MC, I don't recall the weight of the gear oil. I no longer work at a dealer so I don't have access to that info anymore. Maybe you can find some service literature that will tell you what it is.

Joe as for the oil I would recommend Volvo's bevel gear oil it's not that expensive.

NOT THAT EXPENSIVE????!!!!!!

How is $30+ per quart not expensive? The fluid called for by Volvo is very very hard to find outside of the dealership. After checking 3 big auto chains, a local parts supplier, and two speed shops, I gave up and went to the dealership....

Just my $.02

-Shane

The angle gear oil is 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. Redline makes one that satisfies the requirements, but Volvo's retails for about $18. If you are getting charged $30 you are getting ripped off. The Redline is maybe $15.

I might be in a position to need to replace the angle gear soon (not on my V70R). Thanks a TON for the how-to. It looks like something someone can do in their garage, eh?

I might be in a position to need to replace the angle gear soon (not on my V70R). Thanks a TON for the how-to. It looks like something someone can do in their garage, eh?

I think if you are fairly mechanically inclined and you are a DIYer then you should have no trouble.

FYI - I picked up the angle gear oil and found it's 100% synthetic 75W90, so you don't "have" to purchase from the dealer. Since I got a shop to shop cost of $17 and the Parts Tech couldn't find out capacity I got 2 qts. Another note, the gear oil for the rear diff is not synthetic and was about $7, haven't removed the big sticker from the back to see if the weight was on the inner label or not, but I know it's regular dino oil, probably the same 75W90 - not sure yet. If it's listed I'll update.

I gave you the capacity up above^ The volvo procedure used to call for .75L now it says .70L There is a DIY guide over on MatthewsVolvosite.com that involves a hand pump (MyTvac).

You could always save the 2nd quart for sometime in the future. Maybe after 30 or so thousand more miles.

The rear diff oil is harder to change. I haven't done it but I've heard you have to remove the rear subframe to gain good access to the part.

I guess I got ripped then.... That's why I hate the dealer.

I changed mine this past weekend, and I'm guessing it had never been done before. It was definately due. I bought two quarts, so I'm going to do it again in the spring...

Volvo's retails for about $18.

I was thinking it was about $18/$20

Never did look to see how much it was I will try to remember tomorrow

Thanks ;)

Big Will - you sure did give capacity. It's been so long since I asked I forgot . . . oh well I'm sure I'll find a use for the syn 75W90 in my truck.

Y2KV70R - I use my buddies shop name when ever I purchase parts from the non-local Pep Boys or the like and get the shop to shop discount so that's why I got it at a lesser rate than a walk-in off the stree customer - and it is still a rip off. . .