Sign in to follow this  
ErikS

Hypermiling

Behavior drives everything, we should all slow down ...

Hypermiling

This is a neat blog, so don't be a douche.

cleanMPG

Drive smart, save money. :tup:

* some of these practices are unsafe and illegal in some areas, always drive carefully and within your limits *

Pretty interesting read! Driving with buffers was probably the most practical thing that'd I would do off of that list.

I'm going to chirp my tires and drive like an idiot until hydrocarbons aren't available freely or i can afford a tesla.

I'm going to chirp my tires and drive like an idiot until hydrocarbons aren't available freely or i can afford a tesla.

:lol:

But if you need to stretch a tank there are some pretty easy ways to increase your mileage by 20-30%.

The guy who founded the forum lives in Houston and can get 106 mpg in his Prius on his morning commute.

:lol:

But if you need to stretch a tank there are some pretty easy ways to increase your mileage by 20-30%.

The guy who founded the forum lives in Houston and can get 106 mpg in his Prius on his morning commute.

Yeah but he's probably that driver. :lol:

so has anyone else here drastically altered your driving habits?

a week ago I started some "hypermiling"

lots of coasting with the clutch in, and I also turn the engine off whenever there is a clear downhill stretch of road ahead of me.

My commute to campus each day is about 6 miles, and for approximately 2 of those 6 miles I am able to coast with the car turned OFF.

I don't know any mpg #'s since my odo gear is broken, but my tank is still much more full after an average week's worth of driving than I can remember from past weeks.

I'm ordering a new odo gear now and once I get it installed I'll report my findings- I'm hoping for something around/above 30 average.

edit: yes, i do realize driving w/ the car completely off is potentially dangerous and/or illegal.

keep in mind when the car is off your brakes are only power assisted for a short period of time.