Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Although since the 3.75 maf is way bigger then the 3" you probably should't go way back to the S90 values under 1.2 volt but more something in between

I tried going from 80% if the new values up to about 95% around 1.4v, and that didn't idle well warm. I'm going to have to play around with it. Really, it's in the .9-1.2v range, which is where it sits with the elevated warmup idle setting. .7v is the warm idle range, which I'd prefer to leave alone. I'm gonna end up with a funky curve :-(. I wish one of the other tables (IE warmup) would resolve it - but I already know from experience it won't.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

well my first reflash was a success, sort of. My boost is still unpredictable. sometimes it will make 15 psi and other times it will make 4psi. then sometimes it will spike 20. So I will start looking into that. I am doing a 19t soon so I'm not all that worried about it. I also have a check engine light on but I didn't have time to check the codes last night.

well my first reflash was a success, sort of. My boost is still unpredictable. sometimes it will make 15 psi and other times it will make 4psi. then sometimes it will spike 20. So I will start looking into that. I am doing a 19t soon so I'm not all that worried about it. I also have a check engine light on but I didn't have time to check the codes last night.

You definitely don't want to install a turbo more prone to rod-bending with erratic boost control like that. If you had such erratic control before doing any tuning, then the hardware needs a serious check over - all your vac/boost control lines, bcs/tcv, wg control, etc. that is a topic for a different thread.

If the erratic started after trying to tune, then you should go back to the baseline tune and start over.

The erratic boost was there before. I said I am not that worried about it because I am going to do a front mount with all new plumbing and a 19t with a new cbv next week so I will just deal with it for now. I'm just glad I didn't have any of the connection errors or flashing problems some of the other guys have had

The erratic boost was there before. I said I am not that worried about it because I am going to do a front mount with all new plumbing and a 19t with a new cbv next week so I will just deal with it for now. I'm just glad I didn't have any of the connection errors or flashing problems some of the other guys have had

Right, however you didn't mention the WGA, TCV (BCS depending on year) or the boost control circuit hoses - those you should be making a priority....

You definitely don't want to install a turbo more prone to rod-bending with erratic boost control like that. If you had such erratic control before doing any tuning, then the hardware needs a serious check over - all your vac/boost control lines, bcs/tcv, wg control, etc. that is a topic for a different thread.

If the erratic started after trying to tune, then you should go back to the baseline tune and start over.

Right, however you didn't mention the WGA, TCV (BCS depending on year) or the boost control circuit hoses - those you should be making a priority....

I second that....the 19T really can give a lot of boost at very low revs (that's why I like the 19T so much), lots of standard conronds are already bent that way

I'm still not convinced that early boost bends rods. It is more of a combination of early boost combined with some sort of preignition that is causing the cylinder pressures to spike

I do have the MAC valve on it and all new hoses to the valve and waste gate actuator. I am putting a new actuator on it next week also. I'll report back in a new thread if I still have any issues then.

Edited by BLUE965T

I'm still not convinced that early boost bends rods. It is more of a combination of early boost combined with some sort of preignition that is causing the cylinder pressures to spike

I do have the MAC valve on it and all new hoses to the valve and waste gate actuator. I am putting a new actuator on it next week also. I'll report back in a new thread if I still have any issues then.

- Low rpms means the engine takes a longer time to reach peak pressure

- The bigger the boost->air->mixture->load, the faster it will burn.

So, at low rpms if load is too much, as pressure rises the generated heat and pressure will probably pre ignites the fast burning mixture much before the engine reaches peak pressure and obviously before ignition spark (and doesn't matter how retarded the ignition spark may be, the pre-ignition will always happen due to the the fast burning mixture and rising pressures).

This is not a problem for diesel engines where the oil is injected only near peak pressure.

So, high boost at low rpms tends to generate pre-ignition conditions.

This is how I see things...

Edited by S70-R

I let the boost come up at 2000 a 2500 RPM with my 19T. Never experienced preignition.

The reason my conrods don't bend is because they are H-Beam conrods in stead of the standard conrodes,

If I would have preignition my valves and/or piston would have melted a long time ago.

The reason the standard conrods bend is that the torque on them with low rpm is too high for them.

It's the same reason my clutch has to be stronger then most with bigger turbo's.

To much torque at low RPM's. destroyed two R clutches in no time, had to buy the much stronger Spec clutch

But... we going off topic with this.....

Edited by Piet

I let the boost come up at 2000 a 2500 RPM with my 19T. Never experienced preignition.

The reason my conrods don't bend is because they are H-Beam conrods in stead of the standard conrodes,

If I would have preignition my valves and/or piston would have melted al long time ago.

The reason the standard conrods bend is that the torque on them with low rpm is too big for them.

The explanation I gave it is just one possible explanation for some cases.

If you didn't experience preignition so the reason would probably be the one you said. Too much torque at that rpm [compared to the lower torque it would normally achieve in higher rpms with the same boost - lower torque due to restrictions in volumetric efficiency (restrictions in intake and exhaust), frictional resistance etc]

I am building another engine so I am going to see how far I can push this stock lump.

Back on topic. I've got a p0108 and a p0112 codes. Just seeing if anyone has any experience with these codes before I get into a full on diag. They were not present with the m4.3 R ecu

And of course, Peter and Venderbroeck were right.

It gnawed at me. I meen the uncommon conversion factor I needed for the MAF values. Because I was tired of gnawing at me, I decided to check all modified tables.
And yes I was a slob, I give my bin a name which refers to the customized things. Green came in the name.

Not so nice. The injector table was for much tighter injectors. Dress joke that I am.
Corrected this immediately as well as the injection time by voltage table to the list of Piet. The standard conversion factor of 1.34 of Piet again applied and the AFR values ​​are correct.
I apologize for the confusion that I have caused.

Piets MAF table is correct!

Edited by razorx