Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

But....... I told you ... I told you ... I told you...

Have been driving like a madman whole day with the S90 MAF to figure out what was wrong, went almost nuts.....heard my wife eventually whispering with someone over the phone about straightjackets...... well ....... : THANK YOU!! :blink:

Edited by Piet
  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

Hahaha, poking up... that's what w're all capable of....

(poking ... where did that came from, that's not what I typed... poking.. that's a dirty word for f'cking isn't it.?.. )

Edited by Piet

I'm still not convinced that early boost bends rods. It is more of a combination of early boost combined with some sort of preignition that is causing the cylinder pressures to spiken.

That's fine and dandy, however you said you have 20psi boost spikes. Regardless of your opinion on what causes rod bending, spikes like that at low rpm / med-high load will bugger your rods.

You don't have to believe anyone on here, we are just trying to save you a little heartache when you prematurely fuck your motor. Please go ahead and prove us wrong, if that's what you feel you need to do.

With all the new hoses, etc you said are installed, it shouldn't be spiking like that at all. Perhaps your solenoid is not up to the task? The WGA is easy enough to set and leak test with a hand operated vacuum pump.

(poking ... where did that came from, that's not what I typed... poking.. that's a dirty word for f'cking isn't it.?.. )

Lifetime supporters can swear without being filtered :-)

That's fine and dandy, however you said you have 20psi boost spikes. Regardless of your opinion on what causes rod bending, spikes like that at low rpm / med-high load will bugger your rods.

You don't have to believe anyone on here, we are just trying to save you a little heartache when you prematurely monkey your motor. Please go ahead and prove us wrong, if that's what you feel you need to do.

With all the new hoses, etc you said are installed, it shouldn't be spiking like that at all. Perhaps your solenoid is not up to the task? The WGA is easy enough to set and leak test with a hand operated vacuum pump.

Lifetime supporters can swear without being filtered :-)

I think you mistake me for being argumentative or thinking you guys don't know what you are talking about. That is not the case at all. I have a lot of respect for a lot of the stuff you guys have done with some of these cars. I listen to everything you say but I also know a lot of things from my own experiences and after 25 years of modifying cars I have learned plenty of stuff for myself.

When i say that I am not convinced the early boost bends rods is because cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure no matter what the rpm is. The problem is that something is lighting off the high boost fuel/air mixture too early and the crankshaft is not ready to go down yet. Weather it is something mechanical or some tuning is still yet to be determined by me for myself.

I think you mistake me for being argumentative or thinking you guys don't know what you are talking about. That is not the case at all. I have a lot of respect for a lot of the stuff you guys have done with some of these cars. I listen to everything you say but I also know a lot of things from my own experiences and after 25 years of modifying cars I have learned plenty of stuff for myself.

When i say that I am not convinced the early boost bends rods is because cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure no matter what the rpm is. The problem is that something is lighting off the high boost fuel/air mixture too early and the crankshaft is not ready to go down yet. Weather it is something mechanical or some tuning is still yet to be determined by me for myself.

I think you need to read post #2619. That seems to be the best explanation of what is happening. The pressure in the cylinder is rising very fast, and the mixture seems to be pre-igniting. Many people seem to have commented that they are getting engine knock. Well, that is what is happening, the mixture is igniting too soon, and that is putting extreme pressure on the rods as they are not quite to full TDC. Any bit of carbon on the valves can start the pre-ignition, and that turns deadly for stock rods. If you have 1+ bar boost, you are running an effective compression ratio that is far above the nominal ratio, and the fuel mixture just can't handle that. With higher revs, there isn't time for a flame front to start before the start plug ignites it. Effectively, there is more time for the mixture to be shoved into the cylinder, and that means that much more compression that is being experienced.

My vote for that explanation.

I am working on the accelleration enrichment (D + K) now.

Increasing the values in the 80 and 110 rows makes the mixture richer as I experienced.

Does anyone know the exact relation between theas values and the overall fuel correction?

Knowing the exact relation would make it much easier to determine the values needed.

While experimenting with the MAF I noticed something about the fuel trims, problably something everyone already knows except for me....... :blush: ...

I always thought of LTFT_P en LTFT_I as two seperate things, well... this is'nt the case.

The LTFT_P has his influence on every non-WOT situation, including Idle ! !

The LTFT_I is superposed on the LTFT_P at idle for finetuning idling.

That explains why if the ltft_p, for example, is +5% (ECU is adding gasoline at partial load) and if the ltft_i is -60 musec (ECU is subtracting gasoline at idle) both can move to zero with raising the injector constant towards 1 (adding gasoline)

That's because the ltft_i has to compensate less for the positive ltft_p

As Razorx already stated, when I convert the VE-table into AFR values with his formula 14.7/(x*0.0078125), I'am getting values very close to the measured AFR's in my logs

I suspect that if the maf table, injectorconstant and injector deadtimes are really, really spot on, the logged values for AFR could be very close to the values in the VE/AFR table.

I'am planning to build an injector flow meter this weekend to determine exactly the injector constant and dead times of my injectors to see if I can get really close with my logged AFRs to the values in the table that way.

Edited by Piet

Yes but does LTFT affect FKORR when WOT?

Got logging working and it seems I have mid load timing pull between 2000-3500rpm even with stock s70r (-611) timing map with e85. Usually about 6degrees and XFALMIT3. Could it be false knock? Bad knock sensor? Or should i leave it that way?

Edited by MjH

Yes but does LTFT affect FKORR when WOT?

Got logging working and it seems I have mid load timing pull between 2000-3500rpm even with stock s70r (-611) timing map with e85. Usually about 6degrees and XFALMIT3. Could it be false knock? Bad knock sensor? Or should i leave it that way?

Thats typical for these cars, escpecially if the cam timing is not correct. It has been talked about here in the past

Rod