Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Both check valves had failed on mine too. Just used one I had lying about, Think it was from a Ford servo pipe which I fitted on the Evap line, just blanked the other one off

Edited by Avinitlarge
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

I have problems after my buddy's engine swap and need some advice from the experts here...
Original car: V70 2.4 LPT Manual AWD ( europe!)
Swapped into a 2.3.... now I have to setup a file for 240Hp 330NM, white inj, 16T, awd manual. but without Immo.
Unfortunately the 608 file is for canadian version, so it gives CEL about a ~second outer temperature sensor missing, do anybody know what is this on US market, and what should I disable in 608 for this?

Option2:
What the Immo unit sense? identifies ECU hardware or only the software version?
Maybe I could use the original LPT immo enabled ecu, but may problematic since it has so many different maps compared to 2.3.
any thoughts?

Pre '99 X70 cars have the immo integrated into the VGLA unit. It will read the key transpoder via the immobilizer antenna and check the code it gets from the key with the codes saved. Doesn't check the ECU hardware which is why you can interchange M4.4 ECUs freely.

(If I'm wrong somebody please point that out)

What error code do you get?

Holy jeebus I have been on here in a long and and this thread is huge. Also my profile has over 3000 views? Wow ok.

Anyways this thread is just too long to read but I read the wikia and did the 4.4 conversion for my 95 T-5R. It seems that everything is working fine the only thing is the idle correction with the a/c doesn't seem to be working. I wired the resistor to the correct pins and triple checked it. Maybe not a large enough resistor? Anyone else have the same problem?

Also since I put a 97 ecu in a 95 does the OBD1 still work or is it all through the obd2 now? Does the obd2 work better than it did before when I go to autozone and get the codes pulled? (before when I compared to obd1 codes not all codes were there or would give weird/wrong codes different from the obd1)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I think the OBD question has been answered before in this thread. Can't find it right now but it comes down to the fact that M4.4 doesn't do OBD I.

The OBD II works perfect all the time, but Volvo used a non standard OBD II pin layout and non standard protocolls. Most scanners can't work with that and either don't see fault codes or are unable to access modules.

Pre '99 X70 cars have the immo integrated into the VGLA unit. It will read the key transpoder via the immobilizer antenna and check the code it gets from the key with the codes saved. Doesn't check the ECU hardware which is why you can interchange M4.4 ECUs freely.

(If I'm wrong somebody please point that out)

What error code do you get?

Hardware seems does not matter but software does... :( here is the description below about the MIN code relation.

Would be easier just to deactivate immo check routine,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new immobilizer system is generally the same for S70/V70/C70. The important change is in the principle for transponder communication (control module and key). The immobilizer system contains several different types of code which it is important to know.
MIN code (Motor identification Number)
The MIN code is stored in the engine control module (ECM) and is the same for each engine variant control module (the low-pressure turbocharger has one code and the high-pressure turbocharger another).
VIN code (Vehicle identification Number)
The VIN code is unique to the vehicle and can be read in QW 90. It is stored in the immobilizer control module (ICM) during production or using the Volvo Scan Tool (ST). (When it is replaced.)
Key code, security code
The following codes are stored in the new ignition key:
Key code. Programmed when the key is manufactured. This code is unique for each key.
Security code. The immobilizer control module programs the security code into the key (transponder) when the key is programmed.
When replacing the immobilizer control module, all keys must be replaced. The transponder is married to the immobilizer control module and cannot be divorced from it.
LED
Insurance companies in Belgium and the Netherlands require that, if the car does not have an alarm, it must have a flashing LED when the immobilizer is activated (car parked).
Communication between transponder and immobilizer
The transponder is activated when the key is inserted into the ignition switch and the ignition is switched on.
The control module creates a random code (challenge) and transmits this code to the transponder.
The transponder responds by transmitting an encrypted signal containing the key code, security code and the random code.
The control module determines what response to expect and compares it with the response it receives from the transponder. Only if the determined and received response are the same, will the control module allow the engine control module (ECM) to keep the engine running.
Communication between the engine control module (ECM) and immobilizer
When the ignition is switched on, the engine control module (ECM) creates a random code and transmits it together with the MIN code.
This random signal is encrypted and changed each time the engine is started.
The immobilizer control module decodes the signal and reads the MIN code.
In response to the signal the control module transmits back the random code together with the MIN code. As well as a negative or positive response from the transponder.
The engine control module (ECM) compares the transmitted and received codes. If they correspond and the response from the transponder is positive the immobilizer is not activated.
Edited by NitroX5

Hey guys,

Last days I've been finally turning up boost and sometimes (many times actually - but NOT everytime) I get some weird TCV duty cycle behavior.

As shown on the image below, the green areas are the areas where tcv DC is ok so boost and load are ok but suddenly and with the throttle continuing to be all the way down tcv dc drops to 0 (red areas) and of course boost and load drop a lot.

weird_TCV.jpg

This usually hapens from 4500 or 4800rpm or even from 5100rpm and when it achieves 5400rpm tcv dc come back to normal back. This picture doesn't show this tcv dc recovery but that happens a lot.

For me this seems to be something related to the tune itself but what might be??? What is leading the ECU to cut tcv dc?

I'm using 608_rev5b p-part bin running straight from tcv dc map (LDR p-part and LDR KP2 are both set to zero).

PS: I noticed now that first row TCV goes to 0 the rpm readings go from 4500 to 5000rpm (which is false) and stays crazy stuck arround 4800/4900rpm (which is false too).

What the hell is going on here...?

Edited by S70-R

Right, I may be wrong. Its showing bit 39 when its working properly but 103 when it drops off. So it looks like its adding 64 (Bit 6) which according to mercuric is LMR flag XF_LMR.5 "P_IST bigger maximum value" (indicates overcharge protection disabled due to low intake air temperature)

Rod told me how bits work

Edited by Avinitlarge

Hey guys,

Last days I've been finally turning up boost and sometimes (many times actually - but NOT everytime) I get some weird TCV duty cycle behavior.

As shown on the image below, the green areas are the areas where tcv DC is ok so boost and load are ok but suddenly and with the throttle continuing to be all the way down tcv dc drops to 0 (red areas) and of course boost and load drop a lot.

This usually hapens from 4500 or 4800rpm or even from 5100rpm and when it achieves 5400rpm tcv dc come back to normal back. This picture doesn't show this tcv dc recovery but that happens a lot.

For me this seems to be something related to the tune itself but what might be??? What is leading the ECU to cut tcv dc?

I'm using 608_rev5b p-part bin running straight from tcv dc map (LDR p-part and LDR KP2 are both set to zero).

PS: I noticed now that first row TCV goes to 0 the rpm readings go from 4500 to 5000rpm (which is false) and stays crazy stuck arround 4800/4900rpm (which is false too).

What the hell is going on here...?

If you look at Bits, you have "103" when that happens, which means bit 6 is set. Mercuric stated that

"LMR mflag XF_LMR.5 "P_IST bigger maximum value" (indicates overcharge protection disabled due to low intake air temperature)

Maybe you hit overcharge protection?

Avinitlarge beat me to it. :tup:

Edited by Rod'sT-5

Yes, there were correct. Although I'm thinking it may be easier to convert a 960 ECU which already is configured for the extra ignition outputs.

Are you sure you can use the 960 EUCU? It is missing the control for the turbo control valve, and I don't know if it has the logic on the control board for that. Also, the ME 4.4 ECU has a pin for the MAP sensor, the outside air temp, and the pressure of the fuel tank. I know that you can bypass that code, but how do you deal with the TCU?

If you can do that, then I think you are on the right track, 960 ECU is already to go for COP. You just need to delete plug #6.

Right, I may be wrong. Its showing bit 39 when its working properly but 103 when it drops off. So it looks like its adding 64 (Bit 6) which according to mercuric is LMR flag XF_LMR.5 "P_IST bigger maximum value" (indicates overcharge protection disabled due to low intake air temperature)

Rod told me how bits work

I didn't understand. "indicates overcharge protection DISABLED due to LOW intake air temperature"?

If it is a protection being disabled why this happens and I don't see the intake temp. being low.

How can I get rid of this?

Edited by S70-R