Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

It turns out a little bit more difficult. I'll try first the stock coil.

I want to stop with the mods or this will never end.

I just want to get decent power from the setup I currently have and I think it's not imperative to run COPs to do it.

There are plenty of guys making good numbers running on normal ignition system. Of course COP is way better but.. let's see what I can do without them.

As my last resort I may give it a shot.

Edited by S70-R

I soldered my resistors in yesterday. I bought an engine from a 99 V70R and it came with the engine loom too, so I have the coil pack wiring.

Yeah, a loom from the junkyard wil do too of course.

From there it's just soldering a few smd's and plugging in some leads in the ECU connector.

Pretty straight forward and simple mod really, with great results.

Can't imagine why not do it.

If you can solder, the resistors are easy, if you can't solder, well, hmm. I've seen peoples soldering in the past when they say "yeah, I'm good at soldering" big spiky grey lumps, pads burned, traces pulled. A lot of the work I do is repairing other peoples messes.

I've pulled some connectors from an old ecu socket, they are now ready for my loom

Edited by Avinitlarge

No I don't solder unfortunately.

However, to understand it better let me ask you some more questions.

Where are you exactly soldering the resistors? Furthermore, when you say plug extra leads on the ECU are you talking about inserting the female pins and wires in ECU connector to use non used ECU pins?

Which ones? I assume that can vary and can be changed on the bin.

You have to fit 12 surface mount resistors inside the ECU, they are on the control lines for the extra coils, they are 2.54mm so pretty easy to solder in. Fit female inserts in to the B connector Pins B10, B11, B13, B14, B34 and B35. Ive not got any paper work in front of me but, one of those is coil 6, Think its B34

Edited by Avinitlarge

Why 6 pins if there are only 4 more coils apart from the cyl 1 controled by the stock coil lead?

And didn't figured out where the resistors should be soldered exactly.

In the future this may be something to try but for now I'll keep with the stock ignition system which is proven capable to support really high numbers.

I think it's best for you to wait for TMM9 to come with his plug and play solution.

(indeed, 4 extra pins are enough by the way)

Edited by Piet

Why 6 pins if there are only 4 more coils apart from the cyl 1 controled by the stock coil lead?

And didn't figured out where the resistors should be soldered exactly.

In the future this may be something to try but for now I'll keep with the stock ignition system which is proven capable to support really high numbers.

Sorry, Should have explained a bit better. I was just listing the pinouts. You just need to add 4 wires to the ECU connector.

I spent a few hours on the ECU trying to figure out what was what with the resistors

Like Piet said, the TTM9 plug and play kit may be more suitable if you can't solder.

Edited by Avinitlarge

Problem wit the standard coil is that already above 5000 RPM there is'nt enough time for the coil to get fully charged anymore.

That's why the spark wil gradually diminish in intensity above 5000 RPM

I think you can't remove it by our own.

Yeah, I know the problem...at the moment I'll live with it like most of us. COP PnP solution may be something to consider in the future.

For the power I'm targeting at the moment the stock system should be more than enough. I don't expect to get more than 340/350bhp from this setup. So, if I can achieve it I'm happy.

First thing will be to solve this misfire problem.

Second thing, if I can't run higher ign advance/more power, is to try different cam timing again.

Piet, are you running I-4/E0 right? How much load are you achieving and how much ign advance can you run on it?

I'm in for this mod since I might have to replace my 850R stock coil anyway, like playing around with my ECU and I think the engine would really benefit from this. But I guess, the main driver for me is playing around ;).

I already have 2 M4.4 Turbo ECUs so I might use one.

Edited by German850R

I think you can't remove it by our own.

Yeah, I know the problem...at the moment I'll live with it like most of us. COP PnP solution may be something to consider in the future.

For the power I'm targeting at the moment the stock system should be more than enough. I don't expect to get more than 340/350bhp from this setup. So, if I can achieve it I'm happy.

First thing will be to solve this misfire problem.

Second thing, if I can't run higher ign advance/more power, is to try different cam timing again.

Piet, are you running I-4/E0 right? How much load are you achieving and how much ign advance can you run on it?

Recently I had some problems with ignition retard wich started at boost levels of 1.3 bar..

With the COPs the're gone.

With -2 inletcam and +2 outletcam you have already virtually no camoverlap anymore, not much more to gain there anymore, I think.

I 'am running -3 inletcam and +1 outletcam at the moment (not that much different from your cam settings.)

Edited by Piet