Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

Until now ingnition advance downto 9.75 and a load not higher then 11 due to ignition retard beyond that.

With the COP I didn't have ing.retard anymore so I wil try to increase load and increase advance.

But I was experimenting with the COP of my wife's C70 and she really really wanted them back.

So I have to wait until the bosch COPs arrives which I have ordered on Ebay.

Thanks.

Bad luck today. I went to fit the stock coil and I realized I didn't have with me the coil-cap wire. The one that connects to the MSD coil is different from the stock one.

I'll take the time to order brand new bosch coil and spark plugs.

I've already put back my old stock coil and it seems misfire went away. I can't be sure for now because I hadn't many oportunities yesterday to do more WOT pulls (only 2). Today I'll test it further.

Anyone has played with these maps and/or knows how they exactly work?

- Re-engage ignition advance (this one seems anyway to not affect the rpm range where I get KR when shifting)
- Maximum time for timing retard on gear engagement (don't know exactly if this timing retard applies on all gear shifts/engag)

I ask this because I’m having significant knock retard (bit 163 - knock sum around 15) everytime I quickly shift gear at WOT. I can pull a full gear with no knock retard but as soon as I shift into next gear and smash the throttle knock retard is there. Only if I gently shift gear I won't have KR.

Nobody had this issue?

Apart from a tune issue I just can think about something on the engine bay making some weird noises picked up by the knock sensors when shifting gears.

Any thoughts?

Edited by S70-R

Wondering if my mounts are the cause for this shifting knock retard (which should be false knock 99% sure).

I've IPD poly mounts on top (both front and rear). All the other ones are stock. I have to check my trans mount and maybe replace it too.

I'll probably get back to top stock mounts and see if there's any difference.

I have the upper mount as a poly bushing where it connects to the engine and stock where it connects to the firewall.

My lower front mount is also with poly bushings, the one that looks like a bone.

The rest is all stock, recently replaced.

I have no knock during fast shifting.

Wondering if my mounts are the cause for this shifting knock retard (which should be false knock 99% sure).

I've IPD poly mounts on top (both front and rear). All the other ones are stock. I have to check my trans mount and maybe replace it too.

I'll probably get back to top stock mounts and see if there's any difference.

I did a quick check on my mounts today (except for the right mount which I couldn't inspect well but I'll do) and they don't seem bad. Transmission mount was my biggest suspicion and despite it is not like brand new it is far from torn I believe, so I think my problem is not coming from this mount.

Today I was pulling a 3rd and exactly at the moment I passed on a pronounced bump (where the entire car bounces) I got significant knock retard (I was not logging but CEL was ON).

So I'm almost sure my knock issues (specially when shifting) are related to something loose in the engine bay. Even on a flat road I got sometimes random knock. It really is random in relation to load and rpm range. I don't have any knock at low/medium loads and rpms. It only happens when the engine moves due to acceleration.

I found on some logs that sometimes the only time I got knock on a pull was exactly when I left the throttle (didn't even go back on throttle).

All these indicates something is messing with the knock sensors... :( we always have something pulling us away from the power!

My mounts were in terrible condition (two pieces), but didn't trigger the knock sensors. Replacing them did make the car a lot nicer to drive though! Except for the one under the timing belt, I couldn't see any problem with them until I actually removed them.

I of course didnt realise how bad they were, but I am glad I replaced them. Didnt cost too much, and wasnt very hard to do. At the very least, it will take your mind off them :)

I think there is a reasonably good algorithm incorporated in the software of the ECU that can distinguish knock from random noise.

Edited by Piet

Yeah, at this point and after the quick check I made on the mounts I have more doubts than certainties about the cause of my issue.

But one thing should be certain. Something on the engine bay is causing this...

I think there is a reasonably good algorithm incorporated in the software of the ECU that can distinguish knock from random noise.

The problem is that the "random noise" in my case shouldn't be normal "random noise" but some similar noise to knock caused by something else on the engine bay randomly.

I didn't hear my engine really knock even once and it's really odd I only have high knock retard (bit > 120 and sum > 15 deg) between shifts and for example today when I went over a pronounced bump while pulling.

The other knock retard I have during pulls (bit > 120 and 2/4/6/9 sum deg) are purely random and I'm running really low ignition advance. It also seems knock retard during pulls increases in higher gears (4 and 5) but still purely random.

Edited by S70-R

Anyone besides TMM9 running the ford dr3z with a 4 bar regulator that has a working constant? I tried 0.43 for 724cc but the idle was Soo horrible. I don't have my downpipe hooked up so no Wideband or narrowband and I need to get the car semi drive able so I can get the exhaust done

Hey, I'm not home now, but I can get you my numbers sometime tonight/early morning. Are you at 3 bar or 4 bar?

4 bar. My latency is still the same as the stock injectors and I believe the ev14 latency is wayyy lower so that might explain why it's running so horribly rough.

Thanks Aaron.

I have smooth idle(except when cold) with this. I didn't worry too much about the rest since the car will never run in those conditions. I could still use a slight tweak but my ltft is fairly close. It may only be a single iteration away from perfect. keep in mind, this is 3 Bar so you may need to up these values a tad but these are still somewhat rich for 3 Bar. This will at least get you running.
volts | ms
12.47 1.658
13.03 1.541
13.52 1.482
14.02 1.462
14.51 1.443

EDIT: I realized that I forgot the fact I'm on E85. These may not work as well for Gasoline but I have switched over when I need the mileage and they work alright as a base number. I know the difference in fluids changes the opening times by a "small" amount.

Edited by Chrispy_T