Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

3 hours ago, TurboS70T5 said:

Hello all. Ive been following this for a little while now and have finally begun the process to start DIY tuning with TunerPro. I have also been reading into the Wiki page and the issue im currently having is to have the ability to flash ive read you need to download and insert 2 files ( flash plugin)  into tunerpro. However when i just recently tried to download these 2 files from the link provided the dropbox only gave me one file to download. A .rar file. Am I missing another file or is this just an updated file that can replace the 2 needed in the the past. Sorry to be so far behind from everyone else in here just very excited to start the journey into tuning my 98 t5

A .rar file is just a form of compressed file; i.e. the two files are within the one .rar file.  Let me know if you have trouble expanding them.

https://www.lifewire.com/rar-file-2622216

On 8/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, bomb192uk said:

Bit off current topic but I've just completed a different way of connecting my wideband signal into the ecu without having to add pins (on my 850).

Looking at the ecu connector in the ecu box the pins normally suggested for the wideband (tank pressure input B31) are not populated. But pin B32 is (accelerometer input). My 850 does not have the accelerometer fitted but I traced the connector location to just by the AC drier tank clipped into a blank plug. 

So I've just connected the wideband output to the accelerometer connector and changed the IAT logging channel (as mine doesn't have that either) to the accelerometer channel in the bin and it is logging fine.

Seems an easier way than trying to add pins to the ecu connector.

Yep, there's lot of tricks you can play.  Just make sure you document what you did, so you don't forget sometime down the road..  :a-farmboy:

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

Hello, folks. Long time lurker here.

I've been scouring this thread, the Wiki, and any other sources that I could find with my Google-fu, trying to find a resolution to an problem I'm having. Wasn't able to post here until now.

Working on my wife's '97GLT, which is supposed to be an M4.4 car. We've done a motor swap and tried to update to a HPT ECU from a '98.

The initial issue was that the AC stopped working when the '98 ECU was installed. I thought that this car wouldn't need the mod to work, but more reading showed that it probably did.

I've been eyeing the M4.4 tuning for a few months now, so I'd been collecting the stuff needed to flash an ECU. I got that all together and flashed a '607 bin with the AC mod to a '98 ECU. Everything appears to be working properly. I get no errors, or hiccups when flashing (on the bench, using a 14V/3A p/s, Win7 laptop).

Installed the flashed ECU into the car, and the car runs fine, but the AC will only work for the first second, after reinstalling the ECU and reconnecting the battery. After that, it doesn't work any more.
Reinstalling the original '97 GLT ECU, the AC works flawlessly.

I've tried 4 ECUs now. 1 - Original '98 V70R, 2 - flashed '98 ECU with -607 bin, AC s/w mod done, 3 - flashed '98 ECU with -607 bin and no AC mod, 4 - Original  97GLT -936 ECU.
The AC only works properly with the original -936 ECU.

In the reading I've done, I haven't seen any resolutions to any issues with this conversion on '97GLT's. I've been reading through this entire thread (albeit rather quickly), and haven't seen anything that would help here.

The only thing I haven't done is take the flashed ECU with the mod and stick it in my '97 T5 (M4.3) to see if the AC works there.

Any input or direction would be greatly appreciated!

29 minutes ago, Turboforslund said:

Are you sure that the partnumber of the stock ecu ends with -936?  Bosch 0261204936 is for a VW Beetle... 

// Turboforslund 

Yes. I don't have the ECU in front of me, but the last 3 on the '97 GLT ECU are -936. (I don't have the full # handy here at work).

EDIT (The number is actually 0261203936).

Edited by Chuck W

OK, well to add one more thing to this...

I took the -607 flashed w/ AC Mod ECU and stuck it in my '97 T5, which is for certain an M4.3 car (-072). Fired it up and the AC worked just fine. This means that the bin is correct (As far as the AC control goes), at least as far as I can tell.

Also, judging by the ECU number for the '97GLT, is it actually an M4.3? Or is it a hybrid of sorts? (M4.35 :p ? ).

With what I have tried, one of these ECUs (Aside from the original) should work in the GLT.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Chuck W said:

judging by the ECU number for the '97GLT, is it actually an M4.3?

Disregard; according to the M4.4 wiki, 0261203936 is M4.4, so i'm confused too..  :blink:

Edited by gdog
1 minute ago, gdog said:

I'd say you figured it out.

OK, well then everything that I've come across to this point, including the VIN decoder has listed it as an M4.4 system.

If it's an M4.3, then what would cause the same flashed ECU to not work on the GLT while working on the T5? 

52 minutes ago, gdog said:

Disregard; according to the M4.4 wiki, 0261203936 is M4.4, so i'm confused too..  :blink:

OK, at least it's not just me. I've been doing as much reading as I can, and figured out the flashing from the Wiki (with corrections found in this thread). I haven't been able to find a solution to the AC thing on a '97GLT.
I was talking with a member on another forum who did this on a 97GLT a couple years ago (with your help actually), but I haven't gotten the bin he wound up using yet (If he still has it, wasn't his car that he was working on).

The AC Mod bin will engage the compressor for only a second, and only once, on this car, but works just fine on the T5. Perhaps a problem outside the ECU, but the AC works just fine with the original ECU. :glare:

49 minutes ago, Chuck W said:

OK, at least it's not just me. I've been doing as much reading as I can, and figured out the flashing from the Wiki (with corrections found in this thread). I haven't been able to find a solution to the AC thing on a '97GLT.
I was talking with a member on another forum who did this on a 97GLT a couple years ago (with your help actually), but I haven't gotten the bin he wound up using yet (If he still has it, wasn't his car that he was working on).

The AC Mod bin will engage the compressor for only a second, and only once, on this car, but works just fine on the T5. Perhaps a problem outside the ECU, but the AC works just fine with the original ECU. :glare:

Hmm, seems your not the only one..

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/170819-when-is-the-ac-mod-needed-in-a-flash/

Yeah, I found that post in my searching and have talked with Erik about it. (He mentioned you as the one who helped him, but I'm not sure if it was bin or flashing related). 

I *think* he got it to work, but it's been a couple-three years for him when it was done. I've yet to find a "I have a 97GLT and did this and it worked" post.

I'm wondering if the s/w mod might uncover a weakness elsewhere, that the M4.3 set-up will just deal with? Weak AC relay? (I'm just grasping at stuff here) Been looking at Piet's original post on p328 about it, and can't quite decide.

1 hour ago, Chuck W said:

Yeah, I found that post in my searching and have talked with Erik about it. (He mentioned you as the one who helped him, but I'm not sure if it was bin or flashing related). 

I *think* he got it to work, but it's been a couple-three years for him when it was done. I've yet to find a "I have a 97GLT and did this and it worked" post.

I'm wondering if the s/w mod might uncover a weakness elsewhere, that the M4.3 set-up will just deal with? Weak AC relay? (I'm just grasping at stuff here) Been looking at Piet's original post on p328 about it, and can't quite decide.

Well at this point @erikv11 is likely your best bet.  I only helped him with the cksum app IIRC; not anything w/AC.  Per this post, do NOT use the AC mod in your GLT.

Or dig out the schematics to see what's specifically different between the '97 GLT and the T5 with regard's to the way the AC is wired up in the car.  Am sure you've read Piet's explanation here about how the AC mod works.  Maybe there's a minor mod you can make to the car wiring so it looks like the T5?

Yeah, but in that post that you linked, both Piet and venderbroeck both also state that if it's an 850 with an factory M4.4, it most likely needs the mod, due to the "older style" AC unit. They basically say "try it" and if the AC doesn't work, you need the mod. The flashed bin with no mod give no AC function at all, just like the stock M4.4 '98 V70R ECU I tried.

Using the mod in an M4.4 car just keeps the compressor running or the like, which can eventually fry it, if I read that correctly (I've read through it all so many times the past couple of weeks). 

Going to have to dig deeper to find more info specific to the '97GLT. There is something different, just need to figure out what.

Well, before I crashed out last night, I was able to dig up some wiring diagrams for the '97 850's.  Looked at both the ECU wiring as well as the ECC wiring. All of the external wiring for the AC was the same between the M4.3 and M4.4 stuff...:dry:

Have you tried using a 608 binary instead of the 607?

A while ago in this thread it was suggested to just use the 608 binary and change the configbyte to switch between manual or auto gearbox.

I suggest this as maybe there is an issue with the software AC mod being applied to a 607

I too have an 850, but being the AWD it came with an M44 ecu so running the old AC system with the newer ecu. But my AC system leaks so I can't test my 608 binary.

Edited by bomb192uk
6 hours ago, bomb192uk said:

Have you tried using a 608 binary instead of the 607?

A while ago in this thread it was suggested to just use the 608 binary and change the configbyte to switch between manual or auto gearbox.

I suggest this as maybe there is an issue with the software AC mod being applied to a 607

I too have an 850, but being the AWD it came with an M44 ecu so running the old AC system with the newer ecu. But my AC system leaks so I can't test my 608 binary.

I saw that and thought about it. I do know the AC modded -607 ECU works in my '97T5 Auto (M4.3) just fine, however.

The change in the AC mod is the same between the two, just different byte addresses.

-Change both bytes at address $6AC8 and $6AC9 in the manual bin or address $6B42 and $6B43 in the automatic bin into #00 (From Piet's original post on it)

I can try a -608 bin, but I didn't come across anything else in the thread regarding the AC mod and there being any differences in function.

I'm also wondering if the wiring diagrams might not be fully accurate. However, seeing as the '97GLT (and the AWD 850's) were the only ones to use the M4.4 and the older AC system, I don't see them changing things externally, but maybe they did, and didn't feel it was worth it to update the diagrams. *shrug*