Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

48 minutes ago, Byte_My_Void said:

it was rare european 1997 850R 5254T AWD  Wagon... unlikely people who didnt understand its price dissasembled it, i got only ecu from it.

My car is fwd 1995 5252->turbo swapped to 5234T with m4.3.

Now i have some errors and no boost at all. first of all ive changed spark plugs, and ordered HO2S sensor. also spark wires are in perfect condition. but i have misfire errors(but no signs of it on engine) and strage power stage group D error(seems thats why AC not working now)

i want to install 4.4 to get modern diagnostics to become avalable, but i need to get proper firmware for a start.

ive got an idea to install mcu instead of flash memory in ECU(ostrich->nextgen), but i cant find memory map of m4.4...

What is the code on that ECU? Those '97 AWD LPT cars are similar the US '97 GLT LPT, and probably share the same issues. They are M4.4 engine management, but are still using the old 850 ECC modules,
I was able to get someone to pull the .bin from the '97 GLT ECU we had (-936) but I never had any luck either reflashing that ECU, or using that .bin on a 98MY M4.4 ECU. The car would never run.
It took a 98MY M4.4 ECU and a special .bin to get the car to run properly AND have working AC. The car would run fine on a 98MY ECU, but wouldn't have working AC with or without the "AC Mod".

Find yourself a 98MY M4.4 turbo ECU to use for flashing.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention: The first 30 or so pages of this thread are outdated. Please refer to the M4.4 Wikia article where all the relevant information is currently being collated. Before asking any questions p

Crush it.

After alot of testing and rewriting code, we finally got a useful new mod working. As we all know, some time ago my dad Piet found out how to convert to bigger maf housings with the maf factor. Conver

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Chuck W said:

What is the code on that ECU? Those '97 AWD LPT cars are similar the US '97 GLT LPT, and probably share the same issues. They are M4.4 engine management, but are still using the old 850 ECC modules,
I was able to get someone to pull the .bin from the '97 GLT ECU we had (-936) but I never had any luck either reflashing that ECU, or using that .bin on a 98MY M4.4 ECU. The car would never run.
It took a 98MY M4.4 ECU and a special .bin to get the car to run properly AND have working AC. The car would run fine on a 98MY ECU, but wouldn't have working AC with or without the "AC Mod".

do u know how to disable immo in binary file ?

i am programmer, i can edit, or even make software that disables or enables something automaticaly, but i need to know where to edit...

i will post here binary file and number of that 4.4 ecu in 12 hours.

4.4 in my region is like an unicorn as r-bumper... and ive bought mine because seller didnt knew its real price.

tell me what means 98MY ? cant understand.

22 hours ago, Chuck W said:

It will probably be the 0261204305 binary like my 850AWD is.

There is no info how to disable the immobiliser on any m4.4 binaries (none that anyone has shared anyway).  The 608 binary does not have the immobiliser enabled which is why it is used for the modifications.

It could be as simple as disabling the setting of the immobiliser bit, all the info is already posted, you just need to research a little.

Edited by Dangerous Dave
Just now, 98s70t5mvt said:

Good luck with that! 

We've had zero luck with exhaust vvt.

Manually retarded cam to compensate for the advance when powering the solenoid. Ended up with 12" vacuum and horrible loping idle. Have tried 4 different bins powering at different rpm and load points none have correctly powered the exhaust vvt.

Aaron uses rear o2 preheater wires to power solenoid with 12v.

Cause supposedly the default position is fully retarded and when powered fully advanced.

We have one of Aaron's .bins for it.

I still have my stock 98 t5 manual ecu.

Ended #450

Currently running one of Aarons modifies ecu's so im not using it.

Asked him if he wanted this old 1 but hasn't said yes or no so if anybody wants it I'd sell it for the $100 core he charges.

Or if anybody has any 650cc or larger injectors wanna trade + cash obviously

I'm at like 88% duty cycle on the greens.

Im to clueless to try and start tuning myself at this level.

Running only wideband no stock o2.

The 22t turbo

Green injectors

Dw200 pump

960 maf

At this point a stock file wouldn't even run my car likely, and I would have to figure out all these parameters just to get it running.

Ive always been a hardware guy not software.

Have xdf for just exhaust vvt and couldn't even get that right.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:25 AM, Chuck W said:

Currently just a set of used "R" coils.

I need to do this to the wife's car, but we're also going to activate the exVVT, so just an extra bit of wiring needed. Have the .bin ready for it.

Now I'm trying to find some good info on boost control settings, just to turn things up a little bit.

Good luck with that! 

We've had zero luck with exhaust vvt.

Manually retarded cam to compensate for the advance when powering the solenoid. Ended up with 12" vacuum and horrible loping idle. Have tried 4 different bins powering at different rpm and load points none have correctly powered the exhaust vvt.

Aaron uses rear o2 preheater wires to power solenoid with 12v.

Cause supposedly the default position is fully retarded and when powered fully advanced.

Edited by 98s70t5mvt
On 8/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, Dangerous Dave said:

I've been having issues with the fuel mileage. It was terrible before I started my mods but now it's even worse. I want half with running the 608 binary, little glitches were happening and it's meant for the 2.3 engine. Plus there are many differences in the maps between the two. 

So I've gone back to running the 305 binary which is the original for my 2.5 lpt engine. I've transferred over the logging code as well as COP and wideband control. 

Using exactly the same fueling and ignition maps I had in the 608 binary on a cruise it's gone from 26mpg to 38mpg. On a 70 mile run the other day, half motorway and the other half country roads, it managed 35mpg.

It needs some tuning on load but otherwise I'm very happy with how it's running now.

Im having the same issue. Can you share the 305 bin with just the logging code and xdf with dk k+l decel leaning factor (Faktor Verzögerungsabmagerung)? Is the 305 bin a auto bin or do you need to convert it via hex adress? I'll pay you for it.

1 hour ago, WSTL said:

Im having the same issue. Can you share the 305 bin with just the logging code and xdf with dk k+l decel leaning factor (Faktor Verzögerungsabmagerung)? Is the 305 bin a auto bin or do you need to convert it via hex adress? I'll pay you for it.

I'd be curious for that as well. Looking for some more references for the LPT motors.

Does anyone know something about memory table 1 and 2

is the data doubled and must be the same at region 1 and region 2?

when i choose for example tcv duty cycle 4200 rpm and 40(?throttle?) i get 0x8088 adress in textbox below

1881330681_.png.8c21d1451779d3eef087ab6a7605a283.png

so should i change it in both memory blocks if i edit values manually?

also ive found this words about checksum

our M4.4 file has two checksums (one for block 0 - file offset 0x0 - 0xFEFF, and another for block 1 - file offset 0x10000 - 0x1FEFF). After you made corrections in those regions (like lambda disabling) - checksums must be recalculated.
Checksum for block 0 is stored at file offset 0xFF00, and for block 1 at file offset 0x1FF00. Ok, checksum procedure is exactly the same for both blocks, its just incrementally adding bytes to 16-bit word.

so there is 2 checksums adresses 0xFF00 and  0x1FF00 in 608_rev5bLaunchControlAL.bin from m4.4 wikia there is 0x2368 in 0xFF00 adress and 0xD4FB in 0x1FF00 so there is different data in 2 checksums so wth?

Edited by Byte_My_Void
6 hours ago, Byte_My_Void said:

Does anyone know something about memory table 1 and 2

is the data doubled and must be the same at region 1 and region 2?

when i choose for example tcv duty cycle 4200 rpm and 40(?throttle?) i get 0x8088 adress in textbox below

so should i change it in both memory blocks if i edit values manually?

also ive found this words about checksum

our M4.4 file has two checksums (one for block 0 - file offset 0x0 - 0xFEFF, and another for block 1 - file offset 0x10000 - 0x1FEFF). After you made corrections in those regions (like lambda disabling) - checksums must be recalculated.
Checksum for block 0 is stored at file offset 0xFF00, and for block 1 at file offset 0x1FF00. Ok, checksum procedure is exactly the same for both blocks, its just incrementally adding bytes to 16-bit word.

so there is 2 checksums adresses 0xFF00 and  0x1FF00 in 608_rev5bLaunchControlAL.bin from m4.4 wikia there is 0x2368 in 0xFF00 adress and 0xD4FB in 0x1FF00 so there is different data in 2 checksums so wth?

The are extra maps added to the 608 binary which can be selected before the engine is started.  This is why you have found the extra map at 0x8088.  The ecu only uses one map at a time.  You can select each map by fully depressing the throttle pedal, then the MIL will flash multiple times depending on which map is selected.

The checksums are different because the data in Block 0 is different to Block 1.  You really don't need to worry about the checksums though as the tunerpro plugin calculates it for you.

12 hours ago, Dangerous Dave said:

The are extra maps added to the 608 binary which can be selected before the engine is started.  This is why you have found the extra map at 0x8088.  The ecu only uses one map at a time.  You can select each map by fully depressing the throttle pedal, then the MIL will flash multiple times depending on which map is selected.

The checksums are different because the data in Block 0 is different to Block 1.  You really don't need to worry about the checksums though as the tunerpro plugin calculates it for you.

as i said before i want to make something like ostrich on modern mcu, to get ability to flash, thats why i am trying to collect information about ecu memory map and so on.

where is memory map selector? its just byte or switch or what?

ecu retrive data from memory once on power up or it uses flash rom constantly to get values?

Edited by Byte_My_Void