Volvo v70 -99 No spark on cylinder 2&3

Eliotlm

i everyone! This is my first post on the forum. Im sorry if i post this in the wrong spot. I recently purschased a 1999 Volvo v70 2.5t with a misfire. I was getting a p0300 misfire code so my first thought was that a few coils or plugs went bad. I replaced all the plugs, replaced one coil aswell as swapped the coils around, but the issue didnt follow. I determined that im getting No spark from cylinder 2 and 3. I also determined that all injectors were working fine. I cant find any tips on how to diagnose this issue other than that it might be some controle modules inside the pcm. Before starting to rip into the computer i would like to check if there is any way to diagnose of maybe the wires running to the coils have shorted out somewhere. Or IF someone else has had this issue and what they did to solve it. Im sorry if my english isnt that great as i am from Sweden but i hope it is understandable.

Welcome to VS and your English is fine!

So I'm curious; are these old Volvos more popular here (in the USA) than in Sweden?  I.e. isn't there a good forum in volvo's native land?

In any case, will try to help if I can.

Are you sure you're not getting any spark on those two cylinders?  If cylinders 2 and 3 were consistently misfiring, I'd expect two more codes (302 and 303) per below.

•P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
•P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
•P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
•P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
•P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
•P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

If you are truly not getting spark on those two cylinders, and the coils are good, then there's either an issue with your wiring harness, or the ECU itself; both of which are generally unlikely.

I'd check the compression next and see if those two cylinders are low.  Do those two cylinders not fire all the time (at idle and at elevated rpm)?  I suspect you may have two dead holes.

99Me7Ign.JPG?raw=1

7 hours ago, gdog said:

Welcome to VS and your English is fine!

So I'm curious; are these old Volvos more popular here (in the USA) than in Sweden?  I.e. isn't there a good forum in volvo's native land?

In any case, will try to help if I can.

Are you sure you're not getting any spark on those two cylinders?  If cylinders 2 and 3 were consistently misfiring, I'd expect two more codes (302 and 303) per below.

•P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
•P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
•P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
•P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
•P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
•P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

If you are truly not getting spark on those two cylinders, and the coils are good, then there's either an issue with your wiring harness, or the ECU itself; both of which are generally unlikely.

I'd check the compression next and see if those two cylinders are low.  Do those two cylinders not fire all the time (at idle and at elevated rpm)?  I suspect you may have two dead holes.

99Me7Ign.JPG?raw=1

Thanks for your respons! To answer your question, v70's are probably one of THE most Common cars here, thats One of the reasons why i bougt it as parts would be easier to find aswell as People with similar problems, i've used Swedish forums aswell but they arent as active as the English speaking ones, maybe because we simply are fewer people here, i dont know. 

I also figured that i should've gotten a misfire code on a specific cylinder, someone laid out theory which I dont know wether it is correct or not, he figured that the car maybe was too old to notice misfires in a specific cylinder and throw a p0300 instead of a p0302 and p0303 as it maybe should have. I tested it rather Quick for spark and i Will try it again but im pretty certain that it doesnt spark but that could in theory be that the test spark plug i used was defective. I read One post where someone hade managed to reverse the connector plugs on the cylinder 2 and 3 coils which gave similar symptoms but i think that is unlikely in My case but i Will try that aswell.

What do you mean by "two dead holes"? I Will test compression but i didnt som that as i wasnt getting any spark to begin with. Im unsure how to measure if the wires are intact and also how to take Them out.

16 hours ago, gdog said:

Means cylinders with little, or no, compression. 

teve

I have som Good and some bad news, i replaced 3 of the coils as it turns out One i was testing with also was Broken, i now have spark on all cylinders, which solved the issue with cylinder 2. But I cylinder 3 makes No audible difference as i full the connector plug to the coil whilst running, when i pulled the spark plug it also smelled like gas. In my mind this only leaves one thing, bad compression. I Will test it when i get time. Is that the most likely cause? Is it even worth reparing?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By hcaznacnud
      Hey guys and ladies,
      I was wondering if anyone has any information for me regarding putting in an engine from a 96 850 turbo into a 97 850 manual car. Note that the 96 850 turbo has an automatic transmission and a 2.4L engine, and the 97 850 manual has a 2.3L engine. For some background info my turbo model was backed into by a friend and the insurance company claimed it as a loss so the car is now totaled and I am keeping this car and buying the manual version. The reason for this is because since the insurance company is totaling the car it will be more difficult to rebuild this car as opposed to buying another car for real cheap while also upgrading to a manual. I am not going to keep the turbo 850 but I am going to swap the engines and put the turbo onto the manual counterpart. My main question is this, which ECU should I use? To my belief it should be the auto ECU right, because it will have the software to run the engine and turbo but not the manual. Keeping the manual ECU in could damage the engine right, because the it does not know how to run the bigger liter engine along with the turbo which could cause catastrophic damage. I do not really need answers on doing the actual engine swap there is plenty of info on that. I am aware to buy new seals like the rear main seal and oil pan gaskets and what not. I am also going to get a new clutch plate. But any information anyone can give me would be appreciated.
    • By Tommy.
      Hey all, been a while...
      Figured I would reach out here to see if anyone was willing to help. I found a 2006 V70R in Scranton PA decent looking enough and at a price point I would be comfortable paying. Is anyone near this area that they could maybe check it out for me and see if everything is kosher on the vehicle? I would gladly give you gas money and compensate you for your time. I would be looking to go out and purchase it on the 5th of May so this week/weekend would be wonderful. If anyone is interested, please PM me and I will get back to you!
      Thanks!
      Also posted this in the classifieds wanted section, but figured it may get more views here...
      Tommy
    • By Rodrigo molina
      Alright so my moms been driving this Volvo and I don't know when was the last time she got her transmission fluids changed, the check engine light came on and the panel says transmission service required, and now I have a slipping transmission, I checked the fluid and it's really dark, I was wondering if anyone knew how much fluid does the transmission hold? It's a 2004 s60 2.5t, with a AW55-50. I'm 16 and it's my first car and I love this thing, I just want to fix this ASAP, thanks for your help 
    • By Vocal
      Hey guys I am new to the forum and new to Volvos in general. I am prefacing this post with this:
      I Bought A 1997 Volvo 960 For $500 Bucks Off Craigslist Here In NC, Problems As Follows: Leaking Exhaust, Needs Catalytic Converter To Pass Emissions, Front Right Strut Is Broken And Moves When Braking And Pulls The Car To The Right, Engine And Trans Are Strong Small Oil Leak At The Back Of My Engine Block (2.9L I6) (I Plan On Changing Gaskets) E-Brake Does Not Work (Need This Fixed ASAP) Body Has Numerous Dents And Gouges, Front Drivers Seat Will Not Move (In Process Of Fixing This)
      I Plan On Getting Seat Time And Learn Rally Racing At Tarheel Sports Car Club Events. I Want To Add A Skid Plate, Adjustable Suspension And Turbo. Eventually A Roll Cage And Safety Measures To Make It A Stage Car.
      But What I Mean To Ask Is: WHERE DO I FIND PARTS PARTS PARTS!!!!
      I Have A Hard Time Finding The Parts I Need For Reasonable Prices, Do The Parts From The v90 Or s90 Or 560 Fit My 960???? I Have A LKQ Up The Street And Have Been Hesitant To Go There. I Know They Have MANY Volvos But I Want To Make Sure I Pull The Right Parts. Or Does Anyone Have A 960 In The NC, SC, VA Region I Could Buy And Use As A Donor Car?????  I Plan On Posting Pics Of The Build As I Plan On Making It A Very Unique Car As Well. I Also Want To Make It A Sort Of Community Build, So Any Ideas Will Be Carried Through If You Want To Come To NC And Turn Wrenches With Me, Or Meet Up At Virginia Motor Raceway For Some Shakedowns Or Whatever (You Can Drive If You Want)  I Want To Be Able To Daily Drive It And Autocross/Rallycross on the weekends.
      Now, WHY DO IT TO A VOLVO 960?????? You May Ask, It Was $500 Bucks! And The 2.9l I6 Is Super Reliable! Strip Some Weight Down And I Have Plenty Of Power. I Am Also Most Comfortable Driving RWD As My Last Build Was A Nissan 240SX Drift Build, Which I Sold When I Had Kids.  
      Thanks For Reading My Post And Thanks In Advance For Any Answers I May Receive.

• By ZoomzoomEd
      I've done a ton of reading and research on the bevel gear but I can't find any info on the internals of the gear.  My problem is the driveshaft can be rotated without the splined shaft rotating.  I removed the angle gear and opened it up.  The collar is worn and the splined input shaft is worn but it is not slipping.  My concern is that the gear that meshes with the pinion gear is free to rotate in both directions on the shaft.  I was thinking that it may lock in one direction like a one way clutch to allow freewheeling from the rear wheels but I was really confused that it is able to rotate both ways.  I couldn't find any videos or clear cut descriptions of how these internals work.

2000 V70XC is the vehicle in question.

Thanks,
      Ed