Injecting Water To Clean Carbon Build Up

icelandic

I want to do the water injection act to clean carbon build up in my 94 Na 850 with 160k. In order to do it, I got a hypodermic injection needle and attached it to a flexible plastic hose. The other end of the plastic hose goes to the vacumm tower, and the needle goes into a distiled water bottle that holds a quart of of distiled water. I tryed it for a few minutes at idle. It turns out that due to the small caliper of the needle, water goes in very slowly. I calculate it will take about 25 minutes for the quart of water to be injected into the engine at idle. I just ran it for 5 minutes to see if the amount of water going in was under control.

I am ready to go for the entire quart. My questions are: Should it be done at idle or at higher RPM?

How effective can I expect it to be in terms of carbon deposit removal on valves, piston heads and combustion chambers? Do I have to repeat the process, or is one quart enough?

I know there are other options like Seafoam and the like, but these are not available in my country.

I hear the water injection method is very effective.

Thanks for inputs.

Luis

Yes, Your approach will work. I did it with just a piece of vacuum tube straight into the water with rpms up to like 3k and dip and remove the tubing quickly. You'll get enough water in there to be more effective than the needle, but not enough to stall the car if the rpms are kept up.

I'd stick with using the needle, like you are. Higher RPMs will probably help. You don't want too much water going in there, or you'll hydrolock the engine and possibly break stuff. There are two things to keep in mind:

1) The water will cool the cylinder charge and inhibit ignition of the gasoline vapors

2) Water is not compressible.

Point 1 is important because if you cool the charge too much, your fuel won't burn as well. Not a big deal since you're doing this as a 1-time cleaning procedure, but if the car starts to stumble, stop feeding it water immeadiately! Point 2 is VERY important. The water in the cylinders will start raising your compression. If you get too much water in, you're compression will go to high, and you DO run the risk of bending a rod.

Just be careful, be smart, and don't add too much water... you should be fine.

I completed the procedure mostly in idle. It took 32 minutes, with water being injected continuously. Idle was not irregular, even though the engine vibrated more than usual. Every 3 minutes, I raced the engine to 3000rpm and let it back to idle.

After the procedure the engine appears to run smoother than before, but that might be my imagination.

Do you guys think this treatment is really effective? How often should that be done to keep pistons heads, combustion chambers and valves clean?

Thanks

Luis

In the good ol USA, all fuels are required to have additives to prevent fuel system clogging. The water injection will help steam clean off loose fluffy carbon deposits in the combustion chamber only. It's has been many,many years since I've seen an engine with heavy carbon build up on the valves or anywhere else for that matter especially in a fuel injected engine. Also if you do this method to clean the pistons you really don't need to use distilled water, fairly clean ditch water (with no floaties) would work just as well. This procedure should not be something you do regularly either.

Hmmm, usually you use a 50/50 water/alcohol mix.....like windshield wiper fluid. :D Also, this procedure is usually done on a turbo, not only does it clean your internals, but it pretty much eliminates detonation/knock. Kits like Aquamist and etc...

Hmmm, usually you use a 50/50 water/alcohol mix.....like windshield wiper fluid. :D Also, this procedure is usually done on a turbo, not only does it clean your internals, but it pretty much eliminates detonation/knock. Kits like Aquamist and etc...

Different purposes. He's doing it to clean, we (the turbo guys) use it to prevent detonation. The clean factor is just a bonus.

Archived